NO RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently building a single storey extension, creating a lounge and utility. The electrician has told me he will put a 2nd c.u in the extension to supply all new wiring. My problem is having looked at my old c.u it has no RCD only a main switch. Will i have to change the existing board?
A big cost that may need budgeting in![/b]

Sponsored Links
No if the new CU is fed with a permitted cable or surface cable then there is no need to have the RCD on the feed cable. Using RCBO's in the new CU will mean it would be better if the CU is not feed from a RCD. There is no need to up-grade original system.

However you may feel it would be safer to have all items RCD protected and it is a real pain to add a socket to a non RCD system as needs Ali-tube cable and a RCD socket.

It does seem the requirements may be relaxed as far as adding to an existing system but until amendment 1 is published we have to protect any new sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back