No room thermostat just TRVs. What would happen if...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Successfully upgraded the Radiator TRVs, lockshields, installed a TF1, and upgraded the pump to an Alpha L 15/60.

It took a very long time to complete as I had to amend the pipe work for the new TRV's but I got there in the end! Now suffering from aches and pains everywhere! I'm sure it would have taken the professionals half the time I did it in but then that’s your job day in day out!

:?: Need to know the following please. All the radiators have TRV's fitted, and I am going to set these to (4) after I fine tune the balancing (trv heads not fitted yet) if all the TRVs were to shutdown how would the boiler cope? :?:

Potterton Kingfisher 2.
Gavityfeed with F&E + Cylinder.
S plan 1x 2port & 1x 3port valves.
No room thermostat anywhere, it was like that when we moved in.

Cheers,
Sparky

Sponsored Links
You say s plan, but 1 x 2 port and 1 x 3 port?

If s plan, there should be a bypass in place that maintains circulation if paths to hw or ch aren't open.

I would be looking to complete your upgrade with a room stat in living room or hall, and leave the trv on max in room where stat is.

You say s plan, but 1 x 2 port and 1 x 3 port?

If s plan, there should be a bypass in place that maintains circulation if paths to hw or ch aren't open.

It may be an unvented cyl on y.plan, could the op advise?

I would be looking to complete your upgrade with a room stat in living room or hall, and leave the trv on max in room where stat is.

yes agreed, there should be a boiler interlink control
It should be no problem to add a roomstat

Matt

Sponsored Links
I would say the cylinder is vented which also has an immersion heater.

When the water is switched on the 2 port valve heats up the water via the cylinder and also heats up the bathroom radiators.

The 3 port valve heats up all the radiators including, although never checked the bathroom radiators.

The programmer is a Honeywell ST6300A.

You learn something everyday. Never known a Open vented cylinder and system fitted with a 2 port and a 3port valve. The wiring would be interesting. Can someone explain the purpose? :eek:
They do some funny things in these unspecified countries.

It defo works... I guess you could have a warm bath/shower without heating up the whole house. For sure the misses likes to dry the hand towels on it.

I'll take a snap of what I think is the control box when I get a moment. The valves are in the attack so that's another story.

Based on the information you’re recommending I get a room thermostat to compliment the changes. Cables would be a nightmare so I’ve just seen the other threads regarding wireless versions.

However what would happen if I were not to get a room thermostat?

Also based on the comments I guess I shouldn’t be calling it an S Plan?

The 3 port valve could be acting as the bye-pass,
when the room stat is satisfied the valve closes the heating circuit and opens the bye-pass.
just a thought :)

Come on op. Get busy with the camera.

There's lots of us here want to know what sort of SY Plan hybrid system you're running there.

lol I just got back from food shopping (really).

Hang on, I'll undo the box where all the wires go to. Hopefully it'll be what you are after.

When I'm back from work tomorrow I'll take a picture of the valves as they are located in the loft, I can't do it now as it’s a mess up there & everyone’s asleep and the noise won't go down to well.

Just thinking aloud, maybe they are both 2 port valves.

Let the suspense continue...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back