No shower or electricity upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help required!
friend asked if i could checker her consumer unit has she had overun her bath and tripped the power upstairs. All the mcb's were in the on position yet still no power. i'm assuming that the mcb's are blown inside, hence the switches still in the on position but no electircy upstairs. Is there anyway of checking to see if they are u/s without taking the cover off the legrand unit.

Sponsored Links
Water has got into light fittings or junction boxes under the floor, shorting out the RCD in her consumer unit. This will not reset until the electrical installation has dried out.

She did this about 2months ago but never got around to sorting it, its only recently that shes told me has i've been painting the outside. Hence, assuming that its blown the mcb's on the upstairs circuit and shower mcb.

If the mcb's had blown it would be highly unlikely (especially considering there are two circuits involved) that they would not have visibly tripped.

Have you checked RCD's?

Sponsored Links
Yep, checked and are all on. I'm assuming that these are in the consumer unit? All the switches in the consumer unit are in the on position.

Also possible that the wiring at the junction boxes/accessories that were drenched has burned out/corroded to the point where the circuit no longer works. It does seem unlikely as I would have expected the MCB and/or RCD protecting the affected circuits to trip long before then, or for there to be at least an intermittent circuit, but who knows.

Are there any "stand-alone" RCD's?

Separate units to the CU?

no no other RCD's.
Saying that the bathroom is above the stairway and hall where the CU is situated, so the power runs up the cavity. Could this mean that the water has possible ran into the CU causing the fault.

I think i'll tell her to get the professionals in..

Thanks for the advise anyway folks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back