no smoking.

securespark said:
Richardp said:
I think they should put up the price of ciggys

Does not work.

When I bought my first pack of 20, they were 48p. How much are they now? 5-6 quid?

Do smokers cite the price as a factor in how much tobacco they consume?
Well it could go towards the financial burden on the health service :cool:

Sponsored Links
For anyone else thinking of stopping, I can recommend Allan Carr's book "Easyway to Stop Smoking".
After smoking on and off for about 10 years and stopping a couple of times before for up to 6 months I was particularly sceptical about a book which claimed it made it easy to stop. After getting half way through it I stopped reading for a long time because I was scared of finishing it and not being able to smoke anymore!

I finally got to the end about 2 months ago though and haven't smoked, or even wanted to since then. Going to the pub was where I had trouble before - for a long time I was a 'social smoker' and eventually I was just using trips to the pub as an excuse to smoke. Now I can happily spend all night at the pub with my mates and not get a single craving so I'd welcome a smoking ban ;)

Sorry for going into such a long rant (on my second post in the forum!) but I seriously can't recommend this book enough.

Cheers

Richardp said:
securespark said:
Richardp said:
I think they should put up the price of ciggys

Does not work.

When I bought my first pack of 20, they were 48p. How much are they now? 5-6 quid?

Do smokers cite the price as a factor in how much tobacco they consume?
Well it could go towards the financial burden on the health service :cool:

Ah but, the tax revenue will be missed .. That is precisely why HMG go on about it all the time ... When the ban comes and other taxes go up, they'll say 'Well, you wanted the ban...' ...

BTW 'Sorry I was away in other countries, on other business' ... Prime Minister Tony Blair has apologised after stinging criticism of the government's flagship tax credits....'
All the so called 'wonderful economy' is being shoveled down the pan. .. What a useless bunch of tozzers .. Cannot get anything right, except media bites... How arrogant haranging Europe on how to look after their finances... Prudent be bu##ered.
:D :D :D :D :D :D

Sponsored Links
In the Daily Tongs today, one of the (non-smoking) columnists took a train on a longish journey and sat in the only empty carriage and wondered why. He found out when the few occupants lit up and the place was filled with smoke. Every few minutes the door would open and another smoker would sit down for a few minutes to have a fag, then get up and go back to their non-smoking seat.

And one traveller admitted that he regularly bought a non-smoking ticket because he couldn't stand to be in a smoking carriage. The reporter asked him to swap seats.

"No way!!", the passenger replied.

I'm sorry but I agree with the columnist. Selfish hypocrites, I think he said.

A strange thing happened a couple of years ago. I'd just put this accelerator right and the radiographers called for the next patient. There was no immediate reply so they called again. At this point somebody else in the queue piped up "She's just popped out for some cigarettes." It would make a good comedy sketch if it wasn't so tragic.

Here are a few observations I've made over the years about drugs, legal or otherwise:

1) Alcohol has been used for thousands of years. In the distant past it served the useful purpose of killing germs in drinking water. The choices were (a) drink alcohol, get drunk and live or (b) drink dirty water, get cholera and die. Here in Europe we chose the former and evolved a way of destroying the poison we were drinking. People in the Far East who learnt to boil their water evolved differently and many still have a problem dealing with alcohol.

2) Nicotine and caffeine have also been around for a very long time. Both are stimulants and might therefore have contributed to the survival of their users. Few prehistoric humans would have lived long enough to get cancer anyway.

3) Coca leaves and cola nuts gave a well known drink its name. Both are stimulants. Cola nuts, which contain caffeine, remain legal but coca leaves did not. There is no obvious reason for this. If cocaine was considered dangerous enough to be banned why not caffeine? I find it somewhat odd that a child can walk into a shop and come out with a jar containing a lethal dose of this stuff!

4) Some highly dangerous drugs remain legal. Henbane and mandrake were common ingredients in witches' brews. I have come to the conclusion that drugs are banned not because they are too dangerous but rather because they aren't dangerous enough!

5) The mechanism of addiction is essentially the same for any drug. You have some and it wears off. You are left with some unpleasant after-effect. More of the drug cures this after-effect and so it goes on. Stimulants and depressants have the potential to be addictive. The third group of psychotropics, the hallucinogens, do not and yet it is this group, more than any other, that attracts the greatest hatred from 'the establishment'. Not dangerous enough???

6) On any kind of cost-benefit analysis you can devise, nicotine comes out near the bottom. The risks, we now know, are high and the benefit appears to be minimal - except to addicts of course.

Do I smoke? No. Do I like people smoking in my immediate vicinity? Not a lot. Do I think it should be made illegal? Definitely not. The drug dealers would think all their birthdays had come at once!

PS: I can remember some adverts back in the eighties for lobeline tablets. This is a chemical relative of nicotine and was supposed to reduce the craving for a cigarette. I was never quite sure how you were supposed to get off the lobeline. The same is almost certainly true for those nicotine patches that you see advertized today.

pointdexter said:
For anyone else thinking of stopping, I can recommend Allan Carr's book "Easyway to Stop Smoking".
After smoking on and off for about 10 years and stopping a couple of times before for up to 6 months I was particularly sceptical about a book which claimed it made it easy to stop. After getting half way through it I stopped reading for a long time because I was scared of finishing it and not being able to smoke anymore!

I finally got to the end about 2 months ago though and haven't smoked, or even wanted to since then. Going to the pub was where I had trouble before - for a long time I was a 'social smoker' and eventually I was just using trips to the pub as an excuse to smoke. Now I can happily spend all night at the pub with my mates and not get a single craving so I'd welcome a smoking ban ;)

Sorry for going into such a long rant (on my second post in the forum!) but I seriously can't recommend this book enough.

Cheers

well I ordered that book on your recommendation and its arrived and I gave it to Caroline, she looked really happy with the gift but not too pleased when she opened it :cool: anyway I hope she reads it and that it helps her to give up the ciggys. I'll let you know if it works.

Richardp said:
pointdexter said:

Cheers

well I ordered that book on your recommendation and its arrived and I gave it to Caroline, she looked really happy with the gift but not too pleased when she opened it :cool: anyway I hope she reads it and that it helps her to give up the ciggys. I'll let you know if it works.
Better off giving her a bag of sweets to suck and if she goes to pick up a cigarette you could pipe up in your best singing voice "Sweet! Caroline" ;)

Sponsored Links
Back