no sound on HD channels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So it's a sony tv (not more than 10 years old) and a sky HD box. We don't pay for a package so we just watch the free channels through the box. Lately I've noticed that as channels become HD there is no sound, why would this be ?

Sponsored Links
At a guess, I'd say it was the HDMI cable; I think you need a 1.4 rating for HD, so try it with a new one.

There's only scant info in your post such as the TV model and whether you're also using some sort of audio system or sound bar , so this is "best educated guess" based on known systems.

The answer is possibly that you have your Sky box set to Dolby audio out, but the TV can't deal with Dolby via its HDMI input(s). Try it on Stereo instead. It won't make any difference to the sound from the TV speakers since most TVs are stereo anyway, but at least the TV can deal with Stereo PCM (digital stereo) whereas it looks like it can't decode Dolby Digital.

Did we help? If so, please mark any and all helpful posts by clicking on the THANKS button. It's free and is the best way to show your appreciation.

Sponsored Links
At a guess, I'd say it was the HDMI cable; I think you need a 1.4 rating for HD, so try it with a new one.

You only need a 1.4 rated cable for Audio Return Channel (ARC) and for 4K/UHD content. (It's debatable whether you need 1.4 for 3D because a well-made earlier version will carry the extra bandwidth required for 3D from Blu-ray. Sky's 3D channel didn't use as much bandwidth.)

Regular Sky HD picture runs at 1080i, and every HDMI cable spec from the earliest version 1.0 (year 2002) will cope with that.

Do you have any optical/coax audio cables connected? What audio output setting is the sky box set to? If set to DolbyD change to Normal (iirc: Services, Settings then Sound)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back