No space for a hot water jacket. Suggestions pls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My hot water cylinder (gas) is such a tight fit in the cupboard that there is no way I can fit a hot water jacket and close the door without it opening...

I could fit a bolt to the door and that would secure it (its one of those latches that secures by a spring loaded ball and thus just keeps springing open) but that means the insulation is heavily compressed against door and cylinder.

I also trailed insulating the cylinder with thermal wrap. It looked like a cool darlic when complete but then I saw online that all foil based wraps are for electric heated gas cylinders and took it off (I was unsure if it was safe).

So my question is, should I bolt the door closed with the hot water jacket on? Or should I dress it up like a shiny darlic in thermal wrap (is it safe?)? Or is there another product/solution I can use in these very confined spaces?

All help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
How olds the cylinder? Is it bare copper or have a spray foam on it?

Hi,

I think it's around 15 years. Definably spray foam. I've insulated all the warm pipe work - just trying to make everything as energy efficient as possible.

I also trailed insulating the cylinder with thermal wrap. It looked like a cool darlic when complete but then I saw online that all foil based wraps are for electric heated gas cylinders and took it off (I was unsure if it was safe).

Your post got off to a slightly confusing start then I get to the bit above "electric heated gas cylinders" ;) !

Just to be clear - Does this "cylinder" of yours have a gas burner under it or is it just a simple hot water cylinder where the water is heated by a gas boiler elsewhere in your home ?

A hot water cylinder is fine to wrap up as best you can and if already insulated by a sprayed on foam as robo123 asks then a separate jacket is a bonus so just use whatever parts of it you can or even the thermal blanket.

A gas fired calorifier is unlikely to be what you are talking about but if that is what you have then leave it as it is!

Edit: Your post above arrived a bit late - I am pretty sure you just have an oridnary Hot Water Cylinder.

Sponsored Links
Aaah, that makes sense. You can tell I've never had gas central heating before can't you? Thanks for the advice.

So darlic costume goes back on :).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back