No space for fridge in new kitchen!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, so the house we're moving into has a fitted kitchen, but the only appliance it comes with is the oven and hob. And there is only one empty space for putting in a fridge - beneath the sink. So the only thing that would fit there would be a half-size fridge, which obviously isn't big enough. But we have literally nowhere else to put one, except out underneath the staircase next to the back garden door (the far door you can see in the second pic)! Has anybody ever run into this problem? It seems like a hugely silly way to design a kitchen with NO space for a refrigerator! :mad: I really don't want to have to venture underneath the stairs every time I want to get some food, but can you see any other options for us? Here's the only pics we have of the kitchen, sorry they're hard to see (they're from the original property listing).

Anyone have any suggestions for us? Aside from ripping the whole kitchen out? :(

Sponsored Links
its done like that to sell the house
leave a space for the fridge /freezer/washing machine/dish washer the kitchen would look very small :oops:

a space near the sink is usualy for a dish washer /washing machine

are the double doors part off the kitchen!!

i am assuming theres a utility room next to the kitcken!!

Yes, as I said in another post, the house is a small old mining cottage, so very compact. The space to the right of the kitchen can hardly be called a "utility room" - it's merely the space beneath the stairs. A washing machine or half-sized fridge would fit there, but not a full one. :rolleyes: The double doors lead to the hallway and stairs, what you see in the second pic is the living area in front, sectioned off by that metre-high wall, behind which is the kitchen. The first thing I'm going to do is obviously put up a load of wall-mounted shelves, since that's pretty much the only option for storage space they've given me...

I was thinking about ways to perhaps hide a freezer component in one of the cabinets, but I suppose there's no way to get the wiring down in there. We NEED a washing machine, so are we just going to have to survive with a pint-sized fridge/freezer combo? :(

you could remove one or more under-counter cabinets, cut back the worktop, and mount a tall appliance there.

If you are able to free up two 600mm gaps, you could install a tall FF in one, and stack a drier over a washer in the other.

Sponsored Links
We would love to redo all the cabinets, but unfortunately it's a rental property - we're allowed to pretty much do anything EXCEPT rip fixtures out. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back