No Square Edge Moisture Resistant Board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My local merchants both don’t stock square edged moisture resistant boards, only tapered.

One commented that if you want the square edge you could flip them over, but this requires both faces to be the same no?

My intention was to use the boards for my bathroom ceiling and skim over the lot, not just edge fill.

Can someone advise what to buy and do?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Isn’t it a bit rubbish though buying tapered edge when not just filling the joins?

Sponsored Links
I’m saying, is it not the wrong product buying tapered edge board, when I intend to plaster the whole ceiling rather than just taping and filling the joins? I’m just surprised merchants tend to only have the tapered edge, unless
A) most people tape and fill the join rather than plaster the whole board;
B) plastering the whole board is just as easy with tapered edge as it is square edge; or
C) the merchant was right you can flip the tapered board over to get the square edge

I’m saying, is it not the wrong product buying tapered edge board, when I intend to plaster the whole ceiling rather than just taping and filling the joins? I’m just surprised merchants tend to only have the tapered edge, unless
A) most people tape and fill the join rather than plaster the whole board;
B) plastering the whole board is just as easy with tapered edge as it is square edge; or
C) the merchant was right you can flip the tapered board over to get the square edge
a tapered board is better really as the plaster will be thicker therefore stronger at the joint

heres an old thread saying as much:

My intention was to use the boards for my bathroom ceiling and skim over the lot, not just edge fill.
You can full skim tapered boards too, but taping and filling square edge boards is less ideal. Therefore, taper edge boards are more versatile and if you are going to stock only one kind....

If it really bothers you, cut the tapers off so they're square edge chalk edge all the way round. It'll be worse overall, mind, as no joint will have a beneficially thicker layer of skim

Do not install the boards reverse side out; whoever told you to do that was either joking, or a muppet

Last edited:
You can full skim tapered boards too, but taping and filling square edge boards is less ideal. Therefore, taper edge boards are more versatile and if you are going to stock only one kind....

If it really bothers you, cut the tapers off so they're square edge chalk edge all the way round. It'll be worse overall, mind, as no joint will have a beneficially thicker layer of skim

Do not install the boards reverse side out; whoever told you to do that was either joking, or a muppet
Thanks very much, this makes sense, and with the link to the other thread posted above I see that tapered edge will give a stronger join when plastering the lot.

My only hesitation then is would it be easier for a DIYer to plaster with the square edge rather than tapered as you can do the first coat in one go? Also if paying a plasterer, am I not creating more work because you first have to fill the joins then wait before applying the first coat?

No my plasterers have always preferred tapered edge for skimming too. No chance of scrim showing through. No extra costs, the first coat just goes on a bit thicker at the edges.

Ok this makes sense why they just stock tapered; thanks a lot

would it be easier for a DIYer to plaster with the square edge
Easier for a DIYer to tape and fill with TE. Easy for a DIYer to fill TE ready for a plasterer to fill skim if the taper bothers them. Pro plasterers just go straight over the taper in the first pass anyway, it's not a bother having that couple of mm extra depression on some of the joints

Easier for a DIYer to tape and fill with TE. Easy for a DIYer to fill TE ready for a plasterer to fill skim if the taper bothers them. Pro plasterers just go straight over the taper in the first pass anyway, it's not a bother having that couple of mm extra depression on some of the joints
Thanks mate I think I’m over thinking it then!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back