Plastering onto plaster board (wrong plaster board?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Went out last weekend to buy 10 sheets of the 2.4 x 1.2 square edge plaster board to replace all the old ceilings with. The boards are browny grey on the back and a white on the front.

The plan is to plaster over the boards, but I've just read something that made me worry. One of the articles said that plaster board that is grey is for plastering on and white fronted is for decorating straight onto and has a tapered edge.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a tapered edge, looks square edged to me. Have I messed up and bought the wrong stuff for being able to plaster on to?

Lastly, what distance from the edge of the board should I screw when attaching?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You have been given the wrong information.
Back in the day they used to have grey side out to plaster and white side out to tape joint and artex.
But now it is white side out, regardless. This will not mean it is a tapered edge joint, it never did. Not in my time anyway.

Great news, so that means I can plaster directly onto the white side? Big relief.

As stated, plaster the white side; you don't really want tapered edge anyway. Fix boards tight together, stagger boards across the joists, screw fix every 150-200mm, around 12.5mm from the edge, tape all joints before skimming; hope you bought 12.5mm boards & not 9.5mm!

That’s a lot of ceiling you have their, have you done any plastering before?

Sponsored Links
Lastly, what distance from the edge of the board should I screw when attaching?
Thanks
On the long length side 2400mm, your joist should be about every 400mm (to centres) You need to screw the board 10-20mm to this edge, any closer and the screw could just break out the edge.
On the butted joints 1200mm length, the board should sit between the joist, so you are limited to where you can fix screws, try your best to get the cut as near to centre of the joist as possible. So you can get a good fix through the board in to joists.
Here is a useful link.
staggered joints

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back