No such thing as white gloss any more?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm relatively new to DIY having bought my first house with my fiancee back last Dec. Until now we've only painted the woodwork in the bedrooms and because the carpets are supposed to be going in in a couple of weeks we're trying to finish the skirting and doors upstairs.

However, we noticed that the white paint (Dulux Satinwood) has gone yellow and now looks as old as the stuff we painted over.

So we bought some Crown water-based satin as that apparently stays white longer but its HORRIBLE. It dries so quick its really uneven. It's like painting with Tippex and leaves smears and lines everywhere. So now we have a mixture of yellow gloss doors and disgusting white skirting.

What do people use nowadays to get a white gloss finish?

We've tried the finest brushes we have and I'm trying a small foam roller but that's not much better and not much good for corners.

Sponsored Links
Johnstones Aqua can give superb results - but it isn't easy to master.

From what I've been reading water based is the only option for internal
white 'gloss' now, but decent brushes are essential so I'm off at
lunchtime to pick up some Purdy brushes.

I noticed where I slapped the paint on thick and fast (just the way my
other half hates me to do it) it was passably smooth so I think this is
the way to do it.

I'll report back tomorrow

Sponsored Links
So, tonight we spent a while trying out our new brushes and technique.

We sanded the skirting first and the paint came off in big flakes, then wiped down with a damp sponge at first then later we keyed it and washed it with sugar soap when we realised the paint was being repelled in places.

Its very quick to put on this paint, but very messy. We added a splash of water to thin it, which help smooth it, but possibly made it drip. We applied it thick but it does come up a lot smoother than when we tried it yesterday.

A lot of time it's trial and error (mostly error to begin with :) )

The best paint I found for interior or exterior was Sikkens Rubberol BL Satura.

It's quite expensive at around £20 litre delivered, but it's easy to use with excellent levelling properties.

Isn't that for interior fishes?

Well, I'm afraid I've let the side down. :(

My other half has done an excellent job with the paint after getting some primer to go in between the oil-based gloss and the new water-based, better than I could have managed with my ham fists.

I took all the old carpet up downstairs today instead while she painted the doors with her steady hand, so now I'm treating her to a bbq.

I'm much better at tearing stuff out and burning stuff to be honest :evil:

I was in the same boat with yellowing paint !!!!
I was very old school and wanted to stay with oil based paint !!
I made a big step and purchased the johnstones aqua gloss i will say it is a
Litlle bit tricky to master but the results i have ended up with are
Amazing give this stuff a go and see what you think !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back