No Temperature Control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am a plumber with limited experience with heating, I was called to a house yesterday to investigate a heating problem. The house is approx 35 years old with original system. It has a backboiler, with a pump fitted (fairly recently) on the flow to the boiler. There is an old timer in the airing cupboard which the lady has set on/off twice a day for a couple of hours. All the rads have trv's, there is no room stat, the heating temp is controlled by the boiler thermostat (under gas fire).
This system has worked fine since the year dot and she is happy controlling it this way, however all this past winter when the heating is on she has no control over the temperature, it's either very hot or off, she says she had someone come to look at the problem before xmas and they were baffled but said the thermostat on boiler was ok (Don't know how they checked this)
any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Johnysmall said:
... however all this past winter when the heating is on she has no control over the temperature, it's either very hot or off, she says she had someone come to look at the problem...

Did they check the dosage of HRT she's taking?

Have you checked that each of the TRVs works properly; neither stuck shut or failing to close?

Sponsored Links
Have you checked that each of the TRVs works properly; neither stuck shut or failing to close?

I checked four of them while I was there and they were all ok, pins moved freely.
The pump is on boiler return not flow, sorry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back