Worcester Danesmoor 20/25 inefficient ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My friend has a Worcester Danesmoor 20/25 oil fired boiler which she thinks is about 20 years old. Whenever she gets it serviced the engineer recommends that she replaces it because newer models are more efficient. It has never gone wrong and the only issue as far as she's concerned it that the heating and water controls are combined, so there's no independent control.

How much more efficient would a new boiler be and how long would it take to recoup the installation cost ? She uses about 2000 litres / spends £1,200 per year.

When she wants it on she moves the temperature control to about 20-25% which seems low to me - is this an efficient way of operating it ? Also the temperature control is never switched full off as there is resistance near zero, like a switch.

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd stick right with it - nice solid boiler with twin baffles and a simple B11 burner.....not much to go wrong!
John :)

A cheaper way of increasing efficiency is to convert to fully pumped from gravity DHW. As John says, good simple reliable boiler, easy and cheap to maintain and with a relatively good efficiency.

Sponsored Links
Serviced a Worcester Danesmoor 20/25 to-day 83% Gross Efficiency!
a new Grant Vortex would achiev around 97% a saving of around 13% approx, however the cost to replace and the 13% fuel consumption converted into pound notes will give you an idea of the pay back period

as has been said the W/D 20/25 is a good solid boiler so unless there are signs of it reaching the end of it's life probably worth keeping! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back