No testing or MWC/EIC for 'Maintenence'??

So a reversable socket would not be a reason to put DP fuses/breakers/ switches in the fixed installation but it would be a reason to put them in the portable appliances.
So do all appliances with BS 4573 plugs, or IEC 60320-1 C2, C8 or C10 receptacles have DP switches?

Sponsored Links
If BS7671:2008 was to become a legal document it would need a Welsh version and to translate means some interpretation and would mean we could easy have conflicting regulations as a result would be easier to translate from French to Welsh than English to Welsh.
I can't really see how BS7671 could itself become 'a legal document', but the law (written in whatever language) could nevertheless require compliance with it.

As a matter of interest, are their Welsh language versions of Part P and Approved Document P and, if so, have you noticed any 'differences' which have resulted from translation?

Kind Regards, John

Many appliances do have double pole switches. Many don't have switches at all.

It would presumably only be vital for the switch to be double pole if it was regarded as a means of protecting the user from electric shock. Not if it was merely functional switching.

Similarly for fuses/breakers if it's job is to prevent fire in the event of a short to earth it would need to be double pole. If it's merely to reduce the damage in the event of component failure causing a L-N fault then it wouldn't.

It would presumably only be vital for the switch to be double pole if it was regarded as a means of protecting the user from electric shock. Not if it was merely functional switching.
True - but I wouldn't have thought that switches which were part of appliance would "be regarded as a means of protecting the user from electric shock", would they?
Similarly for fuses/breakers if it's job is to prevent fire in the event of a short to earth it would need to be double pole. If it's merely to reduce the damage in the event of component failure causing a L-N fault then it wouldn't.
What you say is obviously true. It's no problem having DP breakers, since the switching of both poles is mechanically linked. However, it is a potential problem with fuses, since their operation cannot be 'linked' - so that DP fusing would present the possibility that only the N one might operate, leaving a theoretical shock hazard.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
True - but I wouldn't have thought that switches which were part of appliance would "be regarded as a means of protecting the user from electric shock", would they?
On a typical appliance I would expect they would not be but I would also expect exceptions exist.

And then there is stuff that we wouldn't normally consider "appliances" but that nevertheless has a plug on it. For example would people regard the MCB in a portacabin CU as an acceptable way to isolate the lighting (to change an exploded bulb for example) not knowing that someone had pluged it into an adaptor and then into a reversable socket? (outdoor schuko sockets exist and schuko to 60309 adaptors are readilly available so if schuko became common this would not be too unbelivable a scenario)

We have special rules for caravans because it is assumed they will leave the UK but afaict those rules don't apply to other temporary plug-fed installations.

We in britan have built our whole electrical safety infrastructure on the idea that L-N reversals MUST NOT HAPPEN. Violating that rule requires very careful risk assesment.

Having said all that a schuko socket on the factory floor which is RCD protected, where the workers have been told it's only for use to power specific items of equipment, where general socket provision is good and where adaptors to convert schuko to BS1363 or IEC60309 are not readilly available onsite would seem acceptablly low risk to me.

What you say is obviously true. It's no problem having DP breakers, since the switching of both poles is mechanically linked. However, it is a potential problem with fuses, since their operation cannot be 'linked' - so that DP fusing would present the possibility that only the N one might operate, leaving a theoretical shock hazard.
[/quote]
Yeah neutral fusing will always risk leaving a device in a state where the fault path has been broken but the faulty circuit is still live.

On a typical appliance I would expect they would not be but I would also expect exceptions exist.
Sure, exceptions exist to most things. One has to make a judgement as to how often they are likely to arise.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back