No water pressure to all hot taps ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everybody :D , from a joiner :cool:

My house is a 1996 Persimmons with a water tank in the loft and immersion heater/cylinder in the cupboard.

History

Since the house was new,its had regular problems with air locks and I discovered turning on the cloaks hot water tap solved the noises.
Ive also had regular problems with some hot water taps working and some not,which has mean't turning certain taps on to clear the trapped air and give some pressure to the non working taps.
I have had three plumbers come down in the last 18mths but non of them have ever improved anything,even though bits and pieces have been replaced.
Immersion heater is 12mths old

Problem

Last weekend I changed a sink basin and immediately some of the hot water taps stopped working while others had good pressure.
Now I have no pressure in any of my hot water taps and only get a small trickle from the bath taps (water is still warm and I have turned off the immersion to be safe)

Any ideas ?

Cheers Gray

Sponsored Links
I had already looked and tried various things and now I plan to replace the red compression taps ? that feed the cylinder,even though these were replaced in the last 12mths but so was one of the thermostats that has failed since and been replaced again :(

The water collects overnight and runs strongish for a few seconds before it returns to a trickle again hence replacing the red taps incase they have locked shut.

Great Forum with lots of good advice :mrgreen:

Will update once this is sorted

donotdelete said:
The water collects overnight and runs strongish for a few seconds before it returns to a trickle again

That's a good indication that water is, slowly, filling the pipework above the hot cylinder (so not an airlock problem) but something is restricting the flow from the cold tank into the cylinder. "Red compression taps?" They sound like gate valves and they can break internally. :mad: :mad: :mad: The knob turns but the spindle has snapped and the plug remains stuck in the gate so that only a dribble of water gets through. Incidentally, why do you say "taps"? One should be enough in a pipe. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Maybe a stupid question but - is there any water in the cold tank? :?: :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
Hi

From what you say in your second post I'd be inclined to look in the neck of the tank for limescale buildup.

HTH

Hi

From what you say in your second post I'd be inclined to look in the neck of the tank for limescale buildup.

HTH

All working now :D

It seems to have been a combination of an airlock and as you say a build up of limescale as I have had quite a lot of limescale come out of the bath tap.

Many Thanks for all replies and hopefully I can give others advice on some joinery.

All The Best

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back