No Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was taking a shower yesterday and the water suddenly stopped coming out. Both the hot and cold taps in the Bath and the bathroom sink have no water coming from them and neither does the hot tap in the kitchen. The Cold water tap in the kitchen is still working normally. I've got a Header tank in the loft that feeds the Hot water tank in the airing cupboard, which is heater by an immersion heater (this is still working and the tank feels warm). Does anyone know if this sounds like an airblock since it is both hot and cold taps? Do I need a plumber? Any advice appreciated, thanks

Sponsored Links
Is the cold water cistern in the loft full of water?

Tony

It might be an airlock but probably more likely to be the outlet is blocked!

Is the cistern covered with a lid or open?

Can you see the outlet from inside the cistern and if so is it clear?

Have you tried forcing mains water up the hot water tap in the litchen as described in the FAQ on this site?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Go into the loft and look into the cold storage cistern (the large one).

If it's empty, then wiggle the ball valve arm.

If it's full, then you have an air lock. See methods of clearing air locks in the Wiki and FAQs.

Thanks,

Isn't an airlock usually either just the hot or the cold though and not both? Have been reading many sites about that and am going to try putting the hose pipe from the mains tap onto the hotwater tap method that everyone mentions when I get home this evening. If that doesnt work, I'll have a look in the cistern,and check the outlet.

It has happened a couple of times, when i've been running a bath the water runs down to a trickle and then stops completey, but then a couple of hours later it has been fine again, I thought the same thing would happen this time, but having left it for 17hours...still no water...

Isn't an airlock usually either just the hot or the cold though and not both?
OK. TO be pedantic, you might have two air locks with a common cause.

Have been reading many sites about that and am going to try putting the hose pipe from the mains tap onto the hotwater tap method that everyone mentions when I get home this evening. If that doesnt work, I'll have a look in the cistern,and check the outlet.
My hunch is stuck or clogged ball valve, so put your head in the loft first.

It has happened a couple of times, when i've been running a bath the water runs down to a trickle and then stops completey, but then a couple of hours later it has been fine again
Ball valve.

I thought the same thing would happen this time, but having left it for 17hours...still no water...
Ball valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back