noise from disc brakes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi...... i have a fiesta titanium 2008. my wife is complaining of a noise coming from the a front wheel ( squeeking noise ) when in low gear and turning. i have been told it could be a piece of grit stuck between the disc pads and disk or it could need a shim in the disk brakes i'm hard of hearing so can't hear the noise. any ideas ??
mickcoulson
no puns about the wife please

Sponsored Links
More than likely to be just a build up of dust, Mick. However, even these days the pads should come out to be cleaned up with a wire brush, together with any sliding surfaces that they use. Even a tiny contact with the disc causes the noise you describe. In the worst scenario the disc actually turns blue with heat from the pad friction.
Once clean, some coppaslip grease is put on the back of both pads to keep them sweet.
A more reliable test is to gently press the brake pedal when the noise occurs...if it goes then they need a clean up.
My hearing is crap too..... :p and I have no sense of smell. Having been a teacher though, both traits can be an advantage :D
John :)

Or worse case scenario John the pads could be down to the metal wear indicator rubbing on the disc. My Saab pads have a small metal tab that comes into contact with the disc when they are wearing thin and makes a screeching noise, why that dont have a wire to illuminate a warning on the dash i dont know.

Certainly I'm familiar with the warning lamp type wear indicator system (even though they rarely seem to work), but the screeching type I'm totally unaware of :p Maybe thats a Vauxhall thing too, as Saab seem to have many similarities between them?

Sponsored Links
More than likely to be just a build up of dust, Mick. However, even these days the pads should come out to be cleaned up with a wire brush, together with any sliding surfaces that they use. Even a tiny contact with the disc causes the noise you describe. In the worst scenario the disc actually turns blue with heat from the pad friction.
Once clean, some coppaslip grease is put on the back of both pads to keep them sweet.
A more reliable test is to gently press the brake pedal when the noise occurs...if it goes then they need a clean up.
My hearing is crap too..... :p and I have no sense of smell. Having been a teacher though, both traits can be an advantage :D
thanks john... is it a big job to take pads out, the last job i did on brakes were shoes and drums.
mick

Dead simple on all Fords, Mick :p
Usually with the wheel off, turn the steering wheel so the caliper points outwards. Look for 2 plastic caps at the back of the caliper - prise these off. Inside is a stainless allen screw which forms the slider of the caliper. They are 6mm I think.
This the typical Ford method, but if its not what I think, post a pic....on Lucas systems the allen bolts are replaced with 13mm hex bolts but the principle is the same.
Using a screwdriver, prise the pads apart a little - effectively pushing the caliper piston in a bit to give you some clearance.
Remove the spring clip on the outside of the caliper, remove those allen screws and the caliper comes away. Don't let it dangle on the flexible hose though - tie it to the spring once its been cleaned.
If you need to renew the disc, then the caliper bracket has to be taken off - 2 x 17mm bolts. The disc then comes away from the hub with a few hammer taps.

Yes, of course they are.
Put some new discs on a 57 plate Galaxy yesterday - never known discs to be so tight on the hub :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back