Noise from drum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Washing machine was in house when we bought it and it made a kind of ticking noise when the drum was tumbling/spinning, nothing too severe but noticeable. Sounds a bit like if a shirt was washing and a button was hitting the side on every revolution.
Since then I have resited the machine slowly edging to its new location. I then had problems with the machine vibrating forward when spinning (and still making the ticking/clicking noise) no matter what I tried re levelling the machine it still edges forward at certain parts of the spin cycle, levelled the machine,checked the floor level.

Could there be an issue inside the machine re the drum?

It is a Candy grand 1400 AAA class, I dont know how old it is.

Sponsored Links
Ticking/scraping noises could mean something stuck between the drum & tub....a bra wire, nail, coin, etc. Loose drum paddles can also cause clicking noises. But if the machine is very noisy & moving around then that could mean duff bearings or bad shockers. Open the door & check the drum for up/down slack then give it a spin by hand & see if it makes a grinding/rumbling noise. If you find either the bearings are shot.

Wow...it sounds like a golf ball rattling around in there :LOL:
Take out the element or remove the sump hose & take a peek in there Alternatively you could try removing a paddle.

Sponsored Links
OK I will pull it back out tomorrow and see what I can find.
Does it sound like bearings? or something trapped.

No it doesn't sound like bearings. Take a peek in & see what you find.

Alternatively you could try removing a paddle

Dont understand `a paddle`, Got it now from google.
Do I just prise off?

No don't force it off, they are slotted in. Depending which model variant you have it may also be locked in place by clip each side that needs to be released using a screwdriver through a hole in top of the paddle. You can try pulling a paddle towards the door, if it doesn't move then take out the heater or remove the sump hose instead (it saves busting a paddle).

The torx head thingy that holds the pulley on I cant turn one way or the other as its very tight but there is play on the pulley as it can move back and forth slightly (this is making the noise) but the torx head doesnt move, so I would assume the `play` is in the pulley part.

Any ideas how to get this torx head/screw off? I have tried wedging the pulley with a piece of wood so that it doesnt turn but still not budging.

P.S. I have been using the word spider when in fact it should be pulley in previous posts, hope I didnt confuse.

The pulley bolt threads are loctited...you need to heat the bolt to break the seal. The bolt doesn't have lynx threads, it loosens anticlockwise. You got a small gas burner around? a heat pistol ought to do the trick as well. You need a fair amount of warming to soften the loctite enough get the bolt out, watch you don't melt anything else!

`Heat pistol` ? Is that the paint stripper, if yes , then I have one so will give that a try.
I will try and mask the surrounding area as there is a lot of plastic.

Heat pistol a few more bangs with the hammer and....BINGO got the screw off.

thanks all for the advice.

The fiberglass pulley on many Hoover/Candy models has been improved by the addition of a steel shoulder. This prevents problems with wear & slackening.
Post the full model details on the door sticker & I'll give you the new part number. Your bearings & spider are ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back