noise from pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i have a standard CH system using a potterton nettaheat boiler, hot water tank in upstairs linen cupboard and water tanks in loft.we had the circulation pump replaced recently due to the boiler overheat stat cutting out, that all ok now but now we get a load howling scream from the pump occasionally. i turned it down to 2 from 3 but still makes the noise, usually a couple of times a day.the pump is a grunfoss situated next to the hot tank in the airing cupboard. Do you think i have air in the system causing the pump to run dry?

Leon

Sponsored Links
Try bleeding the pump (with system off). The large screwdriver slot in the head of the pump.

There was a bit of air in the pump but not much. this afternoon the system started up and after 15 mins the pump made the noise ( high pitched whine) and i unscrewed the centre screw a bit, this seemed to stop the noise. now all quiet so far.

Sponsored Links
Pump might not be orientated correctly (shaft should be horizontal) or could be sucking in air. Try on lower speed setting and check for suction via vent pipe over CH header tank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back