Noise pipe, cannot sleep!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mr Experts,

Near the door in my flat, I got two vertical pipes from ceiling to floor, I think those pipes are filling in water for my flat.

1. Why I got two instead one (both pipes are cool)?

2. Some noise comes from the pipes, the noise happened in random time even nobody uses water in my flat (except the radiators). The noise is so big that I may be waked up when I sleeping. There is a valve in one of the pipes, if I turn the valve off, the noise my be much reduced. Do you think that is OK to turn off the valve?

3. I think it is not hammer. The sound like that when you push air out from you mouth while your tongue is vibrating.

4. Some plumbers came to check (the tank above the ceiling?) but didn't do anything. Anything I can do or ask a plumber to do to stop the noise.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Sponsored Links
Let me make it clear, i'm no xpert but a good amateur!

There's so much that han't been said i'm concerned that nobody will reply due to shear lack of information.

For example;

Do the pipes start from the floor above and if so what's up there?

Where do the pipes go to at ground level. Do the disappear back into the wall or floor.

What kind of central heating do you have. Is it open vented, system or combi boiler?

Are your radiator flow and returns emerging from floor boards or are they dropping from the ceiling?

If you open a cold tap do you hear or feel flow through either of these pipes?

It could be the expansion pipe and the cold water feed but this would only be true if the feed tank and expansion tank are on the foor above you.

I think more information is essential!

good luck

Thank you for your response.

If I open a cold tap, I can hear the water flows through those two vertical pipes with small noise (and some other pipes).

The one on left is your mains water supply, with the main stopcock.
Would say the next is poss the hw to taps :idea:
Then the other 2 are heating pipes. :idea:

Sponsored Links
Ever since we moved into our house ,at random times I've been aware of noise from our pipes, sometimes sounds like the movement of water somewhere, other times sounds like someone has slammed a tap off quick. After a while I realized that it was happening when our neighbours where in their kitchen and they said they kept hearing the sound of things being switched off. I enquired of the water board and we are on a shared water supply from the road, so we have one main pipe which splits in two near the house, rather than separate ones to each house. As you are in a flat, it could well be the same for you and you're hearing the vibration of water from the others flats in the pipes outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back