Noise through party wall - joist issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’d really appreciate any help or advice on the following…..

I live in a 3-bed 1930s semi and unfortunately I’m able to hear a lot of noise from the adjoining property – there’s also a lot of vibrations being transferred across the party wall.

I’m pretty sure it’s got something to do with the shared joists (which run perpendicular and through the party wall).

Our problem sounds very similar to this/these posts .....

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/party-wall-poor-sound-insulation-smells-coming-through.219014/

I’m useless at DIY so I’m looking for an expert to get confirmation that this is really the problem – would I need a structural engineer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Joists normally don't go through walls (other than some stud walls) let alone a party wall.Think about it, they'd need to be 25ft long, or more!

More probable is that the party wall is solid brick (2 skins rather than single skin far more likely, however). But, it may just be that you have really noisy neighbours.

If you are serious about sound proofing your neighbours you need to get separation between the party wall and you - normally achieved by installing a separate wall skin on your side. This can be a DIY project. In terms of the floor, the quickest fix is to install a heavy felt or rubber underlay beneath the carpet. I have gone through exactly this sort of process with my own house and can give further details if you do intend to DIY

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back