Noises in wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's a noise coming from in/behind the wall in our bathroom that sounds like someone is using a ratchet or rubbing the pipes. I first thought it was the guy next door doing plumbing work but the noise is pretty much constant. It's there when we go to bed and then when we get up in the morning.

We only share a small section of party wall with the neighbour and I've wanted to smash into the cavity wall section to see what's going on as it's starting to drive the wife and I round the bend. :mad:

It seems too loud for mice to be making the sound but would like suggestions to what I could check/do before making a mess. :confused:

Thanks

Dougie

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Reminds me of quite an amusing one I came across. Old lady was having trouble with sound from next door. (and the other way around) One of the blokes in her family had the bright idea of knocking a brick out of the party wall to see if they could inject something into the cavity to try and stop the noise. When they got the brick out they were quite surprised to be looking directly into next doors kitchen. Next door had removed their half of the cavity.

Anyways, what is the construction of the wall? And can you pinpoint the noise to a specific area?

Seen a documentary a couple of years ago where the resident started hearing baning and knocking in the walls..all at random times the strange noises and things moving ..and it was claimed there was a poltergeist and they got the local priest and a medium involved...apparently it was a ex-resident who had died in the house some 30years before .....not wanting to scare you though

The walls are brick. Not sure if it matters but the house had cavity wall insulation done about 2 years ago.

We're joined to next door for about 10 feet and the noise is loudest in the bathroom, although you can sometimes hear voices from next door from our spare room (the party wall is part of the bathroom and spare room).

Next door's got 6 kids so he's obviously not into pipe rubbing :LOL:

It's unlikely to be anything within the cavity. Something that might not be obvious is that the source of the noise may not necessarily be near to where it is being heard. Masonry walls can carry noise quite a long distance. Maybe next door's boiler? Have you asked next door about it - can they hear it was well?

Thanks Jeds. They're a bit elusive...you never see the parents....when you go to the door it's the kids that answer...and I mean all 6. The oldest one (13) says they're not doing anything and doesn't know what I mean.
I'll just have to keep trying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back