Noisey ignition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into a new property a year ago.Had the plumber back into rectify a noisy boiler ignition problem.It occurs intermittently though so he took hardly any interest just told me the boiler lid was loose and then it looked like he tried to reclip it back in.However I know this isnt the answer as he came out last time to rectify the boiler and said the same thing to my partner.Anyway my boiler is out of defects liability period and the problem has re-occured.So looks likes it my problem to sort now.
The problem I have every now and then is that the boiler makes a normal noise when it starts up,sounds like the pilot comes on and then you hear it about to fire and its as if it sticks.The boiler then makes a fairly loud noise firing up.This seems to happen more so when I have the heating off and just just use a small amount of hot water.This a little worrying as it sounds like it might explode.
Heres the boiler details:
Baxi combi 100HE PLUS

Sponsored Links
Sounds like settings on the board are off, or sensors not working properly. Hard to say without actually being there

Thanks.In the new year my landlord's corgi engineer(my property is shared ownership) will be carrying out the standard gas safety checks.Should this be something that he should pick up be able to rectify or report on the form?

no. a safety check is just that. all it is meant to do is make sure you do not suffocate, or explode

Sponsored Links
Thats why I was wondering if it would fall under that.Surely if the ignition is faulty it could possibly explode?Sounds like something is stuck when it goes to fully ignite.

The noisy ignition is can be caused by following
1.ignition electrodes, ark giving long ignition cycle
2.combustion case seal that need replacing,
3. main burner if it is the older cloth one gets a hole in its surface
4.pcb gets weak on spark generation
5. sticking gas valve

Thats why I was wondering if it would fall under that.Surely if the ignition is faulty it could possibly explode?Sounds like something is stuck when it goes to fully ignite.

no. design of boiler prevents this provide there are no leaks

The noisy ignition is can be caused by following
1.ignition electrodes, ark giving long ignition cycle
2.combustion case seal that need replacing,
3. main burner if it is the older cloth one gets a hole in its surface
4.pcb gets weak on spark generation
5. sticking gas valve

Thanks for your help.Would No3 be relivent to me as the boiler is just over a year?

Would this still be out of the reams of service by the yearly inspection?I thought ignition faults could be possibly hazardous.Does this problem sound hazardous?I understand its hard to tell without checing I'm just not sure whether to just leave it or get an engineer out asap.I have very little spare cash for the work.Maybe join british gas home care and get the work done?Get a corgi engineer to give me a quote?

One other problem I have is that there seems to be alot of air in the system.I have tried erradicating this with a bleeding key.What I have found is that that if I leave the system running so pump is running and listern to where iar is travelling around system,then once it has passed a radiator I turn the TRV off.Leaving the main radiator in the hall on which has no TRV and usually seems to collect most of the air.

Am I doing this correctly?Could thre not be enough inhibitor in the system and corrosion is causing air to enter?Dodgy TRV letting air in?How would you test for this?Also is it possible the plumber didnt flush the system and there is debris in it that sounds like air?Shouldnt air be released by the automatic air vent of my combi boiler?

Lack of details in original post left it hard to diagnose accurately.
From your remark about the air I would deduct that your old boiler has been replaced with a new one, BUT without any improvements.
You probably still have an open vent system with the old controls.
It is common for installers who do this sort of work to cut corners wherever possible, like: choose really cheap boiler like an ideal
Leave old pump as long as it works
Forget to clean the system
Leave old design and installation faults as they are
Not bother with trivialities such as inhibitor, balancing, and filling out the test report called BENCHMARK, the blue and white A4 sheet.
Tell us how much the above list applies to your situation, and the problem will be quickly identified

The boiler and assoc system is under two years old.Installed at same time.I doubt the system is open vent.I have the benchmark checklist that was filled out.Says it has fernox inhibitor used and clenaed with fernox to.Heres some other details:
Burner oprating press 20mbar
central heating flow temp 75C
central heating return temp 41C
Liff water scale reducer installed
Gas rate 3.1m3/hr
max burner oper press 20mbar
cold water inlet temp 13C
hot water outlet temp 47C
water flow rate 12 lts/min
condensation drain fitted to man instructions - yes
all other boxes ticked on installations ticklist

commissioning enginneer didnt sign form or date or leave corgi ID no.

System pipework as mainly plastic pipe with final connections in copper.Flat is super sinsulated and heating system is responsive,takes little time to heeat flat up.Hot water is good to,hot and dont get periods where we have little hot water flow.

I released alot of air from the system last year so much so that the system pressure dropped and had to contact plumber who told me just to refill ystem via the refill loop that is still connected.I have refilled system so its at about 1.5 bar.I think rust on bathroom rad is due to my partner putting wet things on it.

The plumber however whenever on site during the defects work just seemed to take little interest in anything and just wanted to get off site as quick as possible.I still have a cistern that is installed not level and he took little interest in the boiler noise problem I had,only to tell me oh it must be the loose boiler cover.Told my partner the same thing last time he was called out,problem was he was the last person to re fit the boiler cover. :)

commissioning enginneer didnt sign form or date or leave corgi ID no.

That alone means it is technically speaking an illegally installed boiler.

The fact that he did not leave his name and number strongly suggests he has knowingly installed a boiler that contravenes the regs, unless he is sooo busy that he does not want repeat business like annual service, or recommendations from satisfied customer.

My money says he is a cowboy.

Call corgi cowboy line asap 0800 915 0491 and ask for an inspector to come around as you think you have been victim of conman.
If he showed you a corgi card at all, it could be expired, or a fake, or stolen.
Put up your hands, admit you made a mistake in choosing your installer and ask for help. There is a big difference between making a mistake and willingly and knowingly allowing illegal work on landlord’s property.

Make sure you get it sorted and made legal for 2 reasons.
1 the system is somewhere between not quite safe and dangerous
2 you have probably breached the conditions of the lease. In extreme cases that can mean that your mortgage can be cancelled and your lease terminated.

The boiler was installed when the property was built before I moved into it.I have shared ownership property, which is part mortgage/rent.The installer was chosen by the client who is my landlord, I had no decision in who installed the boiler.I moved into the property after it had been installed.
The only work (if you can call what he did work) was as part of the defects liability work that was carried out after I had moved into the property.I havent instructed any work to be done, the clients contractor would have instructed this subi plumber to complte the work in order for the rention to be released.

So where do I go from here?

Looks a lot better. As you had nothing to do with the installation, no-one can blame you.
The benchmark is filled out wrong in the sense that several of the values are plain wrong, apart from the missing id.
Personally, I would call the corgi number, but then again, I am not particularly weary of stepping on people’s toes.
Alternatively, you could mention to the landlord that you have been advised to do this but that you find it hard to believe they would commission a job to a contractor who cuts corners. Would they be so kind to get this sorted out as you are so very worried. And whilst they are at it, make sure the benchmark gets validated and give you a copy of the council notification so you have no warranty issues?
Registered letter should get this sorted out, do not call them, as anything said can be denied.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back