Noisey PJ Rayburn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just installed a Rayburn PJ with a monoflame burner and after the Don burner conversion I had in my previous one which was virtually silent, this one sounds like Concord taking off when it fires up!

Is there anything I can do to quieten it. I dont need the 60k btu output so would reducing it make it quieter. I would have to get someone in to do it as I dont posses a smoke meter.

All suggestions gratefully recieved.

Peter.N.

Sponsored Links
mmm...i presume its the upward firing thing.

they are noisy. but maybe you can /or get someone in ,to check correct nozzle size and correct combustion.

Try fitting an air intake pipe to the burner and routing it directly from the outside. It wont get rid of all the noise, but it will reduce it. (Unless you already have one).

Thanks for the suggestion oilman but the fan noise isn't to much of a problem, its the roar when it fires up, it seems to be escaping from every available orifice, even the flue pipe seems to be radiating it as does the gap around the hob. Holding a large cushion in front of the flue or hob quietens it a bit but that's not really a very practical solution. As I am typing in my office on the first floor I can hear it rumbling in the distance.

As you say wilhelm, 'its the upward firing thing'

Just a PS. The noise level does drop when the ignition cuts out. Whether its the actual arc or the transformer thats making the noise I dont know, but it is noticable

Sponsored Links
You'd be surprised how much noise comes back through the intake.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back