Noisey water Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Hope you can help. Having an issue with my water pipes making a really loud humming noise when water is engaged. It seems to be worse first thing in the morning and wakes us all up when the tank wants to refill. I have emptied the system and it helped a little but the problem quickly returns.

Its odd as it was fine 6 months ago but now seems to have developed.

I can't seem to pin point what is causing it as its very random. I can run a tap and it makes the noise or even flush the toilet. The noise seems to come from the cold feed to the expansion tanks.

I'm not sure what the cause is and what I can potentially have checked/changed?

My set up is a water tank upstairs with a boiler down stairs.

Hope someone can help

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the washer in your ballvalve in the loft/upstairs tank. Get a new one or fit a new part 2 ballvalve.

Last edited:
Hi

I dont have anything in the loft. What do you mean by ball valve. The tank is a saxton

Sponsored Links
Do you have a check valve on the cold feed to the expansion tank(s) (as you call them)?

Edit: can only find a reference to SAXON and not SAXTON water tanks, which look like they're unvented! and they seem to be an Australian product!

Photos needed.

Last edited:
Hi

sorry its a Santon Premier plus unvented water system. It has two expansion type tanks connected to it.

Thanks

Are you sure it’s the unvented cylinder making the noise? Have you tried to isolate the cold feed into it? You mentioned it makes the noise flushing the toilet, but I doubt it’s connected.

Unvented cylinder will not have an expansion tank... It will have an expansion "vessel". Upload photos but my thinking is now on inlet control group.

iOS Image - 1246355452.jpg
iOS Image - 4281567977.jpg
iOS Image - 1595659662.jpg
iOS Image - 750793702.jpg
iOS Image - 2919607875.jpg

So this is the system I have. Can anyone help me understand what could be at fault?

Thanks for providing photos.
You have an unvented (UV) hot water cylinder and sealed central heating system.
It's not the tidiest of installs and there are at least a couple of issues with it as far as I can see in the photos.

You need a qualified engineer with a G3 ticket to make any adjustments to your system. Make sure you get someone who has this.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thanks for providing photos.
You have an unvented (UV) hot water cylinder and sealed central heating system.
It's not the tidiest of installs and there are at least a couple of issues with it as far as I can see in the photos.

You need a qualified engineer with a G3 ticket to make any adjustments to your system. Make sure you get someone who has this.

thanks for the input, i'll be sure to engage with someone who has a G3 certificate to get this fixed.

Would love to understand what you think that could be improved?

Someone has mentioned that it could be the toilet flush valves and by changing these could resolve the issue?

What do you think?

Just don’t want to be ripped off by a plumber changing things for no reason

Someone has mentioned to change the toilet flush mechanism as this could be the cause?

What does everyone think?

I didn't say to change the flush valve, just trying to help eliminate the cause. If anything it would be the inlet valve, and usually makes the noise every flush/fill period

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back