Noisier after replacing soffits and fascias

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife is quite sensitive to noise. We live near an A road so there's a fair bit of road noise, so a couple years back we got the windows replaced with laminated double glazed uPVC windows. This made a big difference. We just got our soffits and fascias done as the original plywood ones were rotting away. The road noise has suddenly increased again.

It's 60s house where the window is high and the soffit basically comes out right above the top of the window.

The installers assured me that since the joint between the window and the sofit had been sealed the noise couldn't be because of their work.

Not sure what to do or how to sort this out!

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I think you would need to remove the bottom couple of roof tiles and fit some insulation.

Sponsored Links
I think you would need to remove the bottom couple of roof tiles and fit some insulation.
Thank you I had wondered about whether insulation inside the soffits would help, although the sound does seem to be coming from the top of the window rather than through the ceiling.

I had also wondered whether some acoustic sealant at the top of the window frame would help?

Yes once the timber soffit and fascia is removed for a plastic one it will be louder I’m afraid. You’ll need to pull a few tiles off and sort the sealing out from inside the eaves and as catlad said shove some insulation in there (but not loads so it causes a ventilation issue)

Hi jimbo, bit late to the party!

Hope your still active on this forum

Had exactly the same done new windows and upvc soffits and fascias with a new roof. Noise started last october shortly after works completed

I now have a constant 24/7 low hum/drone through the window. Did you ever find the source as im struggling to work out the cause

would start by sealing the window.
Poorly applied or zero seals around a window, make an astonishing difference regards noise. I have been on the inside of a recently fitted window being (silicone) sealed, whilst working fellas were making a noise outside. When he applied the last long run of silicone, the difference in noise abatement was incredible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back