Noisy Boiler advice please for single skint mum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My gas ch boiler worcester 24i 9 yrs old ish. The noise is dreadful sounds like the noise you hear when sitting on a plane waiting for it to take off its as loud as that.I can't sleep for the noise.Theres also an intermittent clicking sound,and a noisy groaning whining sign.Water is not as hot as it should be and radiators aren't as hot as they should be.Theres a leaking rad I topped up the boiler as the pressure dropped.

British Gas came out and suggested a power flush 700 + vat.I am on my own finding 700 is impossible,they also said it may moy cure the problem.
I would be grateful for a bit of guidance please from one of you knowlegable blokes.Not sure where else to turn.I took out the British gas policy and thought i had some security,apparantly not.
Help some advice please.

Sponsored Links
The noise is probably motor bearings, possibly the circulating pump, possibly the fan. I bet a powerflush is merely to get BG loads-a-money.

For the system, get a cleaner cartridge from B&Q and follow the instructions. It may not fix it, but it will be much less than £700.

thanks for assisting

inside the boiler and in the garden??

permanant whine that goes up an octave and down an octave if that makes sense

Sponsored Links
Do you not know a tame RGI in your area? Ask friends and rellies!
May be just the pump - easy fix and lots cheaper than a PF - which prolly won't make much of a diff.

how simple is it for a novice to do the cleaner cartridge thingy,can i do it or do i need a man

get another a proper gas engineer in to diagnose the problem.
your lucky they did not tell you that you need a new boiler and its £3k

well bob british gas did say i need a new one and they quoted 7k not 3k.Theres no way on this earth i can afford that

I agree with Bob, get a gas qualified Plumber in, sounds very much like heating pump. Powerflush is just BG ripoff. Good Luck

Fan bearings I would think if you can hear it in the garden - circulating pump for the other symptoms.
Hoping its not too expensive for you.
John :)

I think that if your boiler is less than 10 years old it should be fully covered under the BG insurance scheme (homecare) so they have a duty to repair it.

How on earth can they charge 7K for a 24i boiler replacement! :eek: They should offer a discount if you have a homecare agreement.

BG used to be good, I relied on them for 10 years and they never let me down, but my experience this year has been dreadful, perhaps they are cutting back on staff and training?

If you have a BG insurance policy (homecare) I would get on to them again and demand a second opinion.

The nice man from bg came out yesterday again and said oh dear the fan is filthy thats the problem(how comes i do not know bg dad a boiler service on the boiler 3 weeks ago0
He cleaned the fan and the boiler is now purring like a siamese kitten and everythings working.I don't know whether to have the power flush or let sleeping dogs lie.Finding the cash is a problem.
How do you make someone a friend on here so you can reply to messages.

I think that if your boiler is less than 10 years old it should be fully covered under the BG insurance scheme (homecare) so they have a duty to repair it. .
I think that's 7 years, uneconomical repair thingy
How on earth can they charge 7K for a 24i boiler replacement! :eek: They should offer a discount if you have a homecare agreement. .
They do, usually
BG used to be good, I relied on them for 10 years and they never let me down, but my experience this year has been dreadful, perhaps they are cutting back on staff and training?.
Your independent boiler fitter wasnt too good either, was he? Remember there are some good and some not so, both BG and non-BG.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back