Noisy Boiler - Ideal Icos - Only 18 months old

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My brand new house was built 18 months ago with an Ideal Icos boiler. I think its a sealed system as there is no open water tank in the loft. Theres a hot water tank upstairs which has a pressure guage above it. Does that make sense ?

Anyway, last week the boiler and pipes and radiators started to make a lot of noise. I checked the pressure guage and it was almost zero. The radiators were cold even though the heating was on. So I opened up the two valves to top up the water, but most of the radiators were still cold. I had to bleed almost all the radiators, which brought the pressure down again. I topped up the water pressure again. All the radiators are now on. Happy days.

However there is still some noise coming from the boiler. It's not there all the time. And it's not mega loud. But considering the system was alsmot silent before, its very annoying.

Any ideas what this could be ? Could there be a build up of air in the boiler ? If so, how do you bleed a boiler ? Any other ideas ?

PS - I'm assuming I never have to bleed the water tank. Is that right ?

Many thanks in advance.
Gav.

Sponsored Links
Is there anyone who can help me with this please ?

Thanks.

This is one boiler that would give you peace of mind to stick couple of sticks of dynamite, light the fuse and walk away.

Check for air bleed valves on the pipe work next to the HW cylinder.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back