Noisy central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of days ago our central heating started making a strange noise, sort of a loud humming sound, as if something was vibrating. It does it when the boiler is firing up, though not every time, just sometimes.

I couldn't actually pinpoint where the noise was coming from, but it definitely wasn't the pump, which we had replaced last year.

It's never done this before, and we only had the boiler serviced last month, so I thought everything was okay. Hopefully it's nothing serious, but any help or advice as to what this might be would be very welcome. TIA.

Sponsored Links
as you aint prescribed your system...........

ill say. is there water in header tank?

or blocked cold feed.

or. um ........

Sponsored Links
wilhelm said:
as you aint prescribed your system...........

It's a boiler. It's got a little blue flame in it. You see, I don't know that much about these things, that's why I'm asking on here... ;)

i made the mistake of assuming you could tell the difference between oil and gas.

;)

you aint gonna believe this........... when you mentioned "blue flame"........ i guessed.

jeeeez. i m begining to think that the art of humour is grinding to a halt on this thread :rolleyes:

anyway you are on gas. i work on oil.

Perhaps the OP manages to get his car repaired without giving the make and model?

" Can you fit a new alternator to my car? I dont know what make or model it is but it does have four wheels! "

Agile said:
Perhaps the OP manages to get his car repaired without giving the make and model?

" Can you fit a new alternator to my car? I dont know what make or model it is but it does have four wheels! "

Sometimes, things are better not said.

You really are a bunch of jumped up tossers aren't you.

Yes, willhelm, I knew you were joking, it was fairly obvious from the 'wink' smiley. I was playing along at being dim because I thought that was the game, but rather it seems you all have some kind of need to feel superior to a new poster with a genuine question.

No, I don't know much about boilers, but I expect you all don't know much about magnetic resonance imaging scanning, which is my area. Yes, my first post was fairly general, but I was looking for general answers in the first instance. If asked in a civil way I could, and would have provided more information.

If the kind of help you offer here consists of low-quality sarcasm, I'm surprised anybody ever uses this board.

PS I see what you did there Agile, very clever, well done. You must be proud.

jonny diamond said:
You really are a bunch of jumped up t*****s aren't you.

Willhelm gave a hint that we could do with more information about your system.

Yes, willhelm, I knew you were joking, it was fairly obvious from the 'wink' smiley. I was playing along at being dim because I thought that was the game,

You later go on to complain of sarcasm, but you were the first to post with the sarcasm
It's a boiler. It's got a little blue flame in it.
so it might be reasonable for someone to assume this was part of your game and they were just playing along.

but rather it seems you all have some kind of need to feel superior to a new poster with a genuine question.

Then you get disgruntled, but you still haven't given much away about your system. There IS a sticky at the top of the list ask new users to read it, but rarely does anyone do so.

No, I don't know much about boilers,
and there are many around, all different, and so far only you know what yours is.

but I expect you all don't know much about magnetic resonance imaging scanning, which is my area. Yes, my first post was fairly general, but I was looking for general answers in the first instance.

Which you got.

If asked in a civil way I could, and would have provided more information.

What was uncivil about willhelm's hint, and why didn't you provide more information?

If the kind of help you offer here consists of low-quality sarcasm, I'm surprised anybody ever uses this board.

No one is paid to post here, so the high quality sarcasm isn't often seen, though it is available from time to time.

jonny diamond said:
You really are a bunch of jumped up t*****s aren't you

My advice would be for you to use your MRI-knowledge-enhanced salary and get a heating engineer to sort your boiler out - and leave the guys on this forum to help people who are capable of accepting a bit of banter! They don't have to answer the questions posted so be grateful for the fact that they tried to extract more information from you in an attempt to assist!!!

Just found this site for central heating prob, but this was the first message set/thread (?) I read - more entertaining than Jilly Cooper!!!!!!! Hilarious banter!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back