Noisy Cold Water Storage Tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I've been living in a property for over 2 years which has a very noisy cold water storage tap.

Flushing the loo, running the cold or hot taps upstairs will produce a loud rumbling, and hissing noise as the water tank fills that can last around 5 minutes.

I've confirmed that it is the water tank by having my better half run the taps/toilet whilst I’ve observed the tank. Manually raising the ball float instantly stops the noise.

We currently have a Part 1 valve installed, which I am assuming is the original one supplied with the property. The tank does not overflow and is otherwise working correctly.

However I would like to shut the thing up!

Should I replace the Part 1 valve with a part 2, or should I use a side entry plastic float such as the fluidmaster floats to quiet the system?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Conoral11

Sponsored Links
Fit a part 2 if possible a quality one like Pegler brand.

Will a part 2 quiet the system down abit? (I know it will bring it up to regs as well)

Being new, and not worn out, will quieten it.

Sponsored Links
Having fitted the new part 2 peglar valve, not much has changed unfortuantly.

I'm unsure if the fluidmasters are acceptable in the cold storage tank, from what I have read online you can only use part 2 valves...

Is there a stopcock adjacent to the tank on the incoming main.

If so its probobly wearing thus needs replacing

You want to go up and listen with a screwdriver. Place the end of the screwdriver on each fitting and the other end on your ear, you will be ale to find if there is one that's noisy and needs replaced. Pipes may also need to be secured if they are loose. Part 2 valve only on the CWSC to stay within regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back