Noisy cold water tank in loft after flushing downstairs loo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a new baby so are trying to use the downstairs loo when hes in his cot. However, the cold tank in the loft in so noisy it wakes him anyway! It doesnt whistle or bang but just sounds like the water is pouring in really fast. We dont have very high pressure on our mains.

When we flush the upstairs loo there is nowhere near as much noise. So we either use the upstairs and wake him or use downstairs and wake him anyway.

Could it be a faulty valve in the tank?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Have you had a look at the cold water tank?

We had a problem similar to this and solved it by putting a length of hosepipe on the inlet to the cold water so that instead of just pouring in from the ball valve the water was fed in under the level of the water.

Hope you added a check valve onto the mains water supply pipe then Mark? Ball Valves and cold water storage cisterns have an air gap for a reason.

Sponsored Links
We had a problem similar to this and solved it by putting a length of hosepipe on the inlet to the cold water so that instead of just pouring in from the ball valve the water was fed in under the level of the water.

As above, a bad idea and a great way of contaminating the water supply.

Let the baby get used to household noise or you will suffer for it in the long run.

New born babies sleep when they want to and nothing will wake them until they are ready.

A friend of mine had his son in hospital for the first 2 months when he was born and when he took him home he wouldn't sleep. He took him back to the hospital to be told that their house was too quiet. He had to leave the radio on a speech station for him to sleep.

Andy

Stop messing about and replace the old valve with a new float valve I would fit a torbeck they are brill

Stop messing about and replace the old valve with a new float valve I would fit a torbeck they are brill

I understand the point about getting the baby use to the noise. Hes nearly 6 months now and sleeps pretty well. The strange thing is ive flushed the loo 3 times tonight and went in the loft to listen to the noise but its been a lot quieter but I bet if I did it now hes asleep it would be really loud. To be fair I think it would wake anyone in the house its so loud.

The tank is covered and lagged. I read a bit about the torbeck valve but heard you get a bit of water hammer when the valve closes suddenly?

The noise seems to be quite loud in the areing cupboard where the pipes come down too.

Ive got a plumber comming to service the boiler soon so ill maybe get him to have a look

Cheers all

It was my understanding that torbeck valves were not approved for loft tank only WC cisterns, am I missing something?

Most part 4 valves are not suitable, MIs state they are for WC use only. Why you would ever want to fit one, over a five quid all brass body part 2, is another matter, makes no sense to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back