Noisy Conservatory (Not rain noise)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all.

I recently had a 6x4m conservatory constructed, with a double hipped 35mm polycarbonate roof.
However i think the room seems quite noisy. I live about 1/2 mile from a busy motorway.
Was I expecting too much as we can't hear the motorway from inside the house, but when we are in the conservatory it is as loud as if we were sat out in the garden.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
That's the way they are. The polycarb roof and poor joint at the roof/vertical frame junction leak heat and sound both ways

dont worry you soon wont be using your conservatory because off the unbearable cold in there :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
A 35mm polycarbonate roof has practically no sound attenuation properties at all & even a 50mm one (which I have) won’t be an awful lot better; you will hear any outside ambient noise but I'm fortunate in that ours is from sheep, cow’s, geese & guinea fowl from the farm next door. Yours is a fairly big un similar to ours so don’t worry, as big-all says, it won’t be long before you won’t be able to hear the traffic noise for the sound of your chattering teeth in the cold; if not already. We've shut our’s down for the winter yesterday & won’t be using it again until next April apart for the odd sunny day & our annual firework night party of course. :LOL:

As others have said, the eaves closure where the polycarb meets the ring-beam may be partly the culprit. It is a stand-off length of rigid plastic with a self-adhesive strip on the top edge which effectively 'ties' the roof sheathing down. I have known shi*e fitters who don't bother, or forgot to remove the strip exposing the adhesive, and just rely on the knock down cap. Also, not all fitters bead down each side of the stand-off to totally seal up to the rafter bars leaving a 2~5mm gap. It doesn't sound much but if none are done it can create problems. If you can, pull of the internal eaves cloaking and see if the polycarb sheets are 'stuck down' ...Its a starting point

Also, not all fitters bead down each side of the stand-off to totally seal up to the rafter bars leaving a 2~5mm gap. It doesn't sound much but if none are done it can create problems.
I physically saw him do that.

I looked at it prior to him doing it, and thought he better fill those gaps.......... he did.

How do i check the other bit yuou mentioned I am confused as to waht I am looking for

Thanks

I built a 6 x3 metre one at my GFs place but we used all timber and glass (roof too). Very quiet in there even though she lives on a noisy road.

I think the whole job came to about £4k.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back