Noisy Diall Torbeck cistern side entry valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have replaced a noisy (screaming when closing) float valve with a Diall Torbeck (Opella) valve which makes a short sharp noise as the valve closes. I've assembled it with both high and low pressure restrictiors and without - just the filter but the noise remains. I've uploaded a short video of it in the hopes that someone can advise me on what to do:

Thank you!

Sorry, I'm evidently unable to embed the video so here is the direct link:

http://youtu.be/r6sEM5qrlIg

Sponsored Links
Andy, thanks for your reply. I considered the Fluidmaster but was concerned that it wouldn't fit between the flush mechanism and cistern sides. Is there anything I can try to improve the performance of the currently fitted valve?

Andy, thanks for your reply. I considered the Fluidmaster but was concerned that it wouldn't fit between the flush mechanism and cistern sides. Is there anything I can try to improve the performance of the currently fitted valve?

Sounds like unusually high cold mains inlet pressure, what is cold pressure at your kitchen sink like,really strong? You may need to fit a pressure reducing valve to your w.c. Incoming pressure usually between 1- 3bar, 3 bar being unusual,have it checked or check it yourself,post back for details. ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help. The water pressure on all taps throughout the house seems quite low to me - I've uploaded a short video as it will describe the pressure better than I can with words. No other water was running when I turn the kitchen tap on in the video.

http://youtu.be/XdEbrmqc_YM

Never heard any noise :rolleyes:

Changing the diaphragm washer usually cures most noises.

The previous Macdee float valve developed a screaming noise which lasted for about 2 minutes. I dismantled and cleaned the valve which reduced the scream to about 5 seconds initially but it crept up with each flush. I don't think it is fair to the neighbours if nothing else (I've just moved in) so I was hoping the new valve would solve it - hearsay led me to believe the Torbeck valve would be better than the original float valve.

There are lots of posts of noisy toilets but often the description is too vague for me. I hope the videos clarify:

http://youtu.be/nlVTyWgTJT4

Sorry still can't hear any noise.

Does it sound like a trumpet if so change the diaphragm washer as above. For what they cost change it anyway ;)

Fit a Fluid Master I wont repair any Torbeck I see, they either work or just gush out. To many call backs with these and that costs me money. :evil:

I handled the Fluidmaster in B&Q but was concerned that it wouldn't fit. For an extra £4 it certainly looked better. That said, I'm very pleased to say that the vavle seems to have fixed itself. Could the noise have been caused by trapped air introduced when I turned off the main stop tap? Perhaps the diaphragm has become better seated with use? It is not even making a whisper now. Very pleased but fingers will remain crossed...

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back