Noisy heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an F&E central heating system which is quite noisy when it is in operation. I believe that this may be due to air trapped in the system, so have bled all of the radiators with no noticeable improvement.

Inspection of our airing cupboard has led me to believe that the component shown in the photo is some sort of air bleed valve - it is situated on the in feed side to the hot water cylinder coil.

As you can see (sorry about poor image quality) the staining down the sides of the device suggest that fluid has at some time been emitted from the valve.

Couple of questions, is this as I think an air bleed valve and if so does it automatically bleed out air from the system?

It has a knurled knob on the top of the valve, am I required to slacken this in order to bleed out excessive air and if so under what conditions should I do that (heating running or switched off?).

I am reluctant to undo it with out knowing in advance if it is the right thing to do and what to expect when I do it.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1449.JPG
    IMG_1449.JPG
    412 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_1448.JPG
    IMG_1448.JPG
    375.9 KB · Views: 168
Sponsored Links
It has a knurled knob on the top of the valve, am I required to slacken this in order to bleed out excessive air
Yes. Works like a rad bleed valve. Have a rag handy. Heating can be on or off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back