Noisy radiators- balancing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 of my radiators changed for more powerful ones as the old ones were far to small- very pleased and happy and warm now- thanks for advice on previous thread :D . At the same time we had TRVs put on all the radiators except for ones that didn't need them. My bedroom radiator has always been noisy but now is very noisy and so is spare room's (two highest rads) have bled them. Still noisy, saw another thread about turning lockshields off and balancing them. So dived right in and turned off lockshields and began turning both on a quarter. No noise, but they were both fully open before so how open do they need to be- keep going til they get noisy again?

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't be getting any noise from the rad valves.
:confused:

Can you check that the trvs are bi directional first. If not you will have to change them over.

Hope you didn't get them off Ebay. :LOL:

Post back if you need any more help but you may need to balance your system, details are IN HERE :D

The TRVs aren't noisy themselves. More of loud gushing gurgling as these two radiators get hot. The valves are drayton TRV4s (bi-directional) from plumbers merchant. Turning lockshields both fully off then turning on 1/4 turn at time (now about 1 full turn on) has definately helped, butI wasn't sure if not having lockshields more fully on (like they were before) might damage system. I don't have the kit required to measure temp and fully balance system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back