Noisy Radiators (Worcester Combi)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, please can anyone offer any advice.

Earlier this year I moved into a council flat with a Worcester Heatslave 9.24 combi boiler which was installed in 1988. There are 6 radiators (2 with thermostatic radiator valves).

The problem is all the radiators make a constant noise (like wind blowing through them). The noise is even louder when a radiator is turned off, and is very annoying. Even when the heating goes off at night the noise continues for 20-30 minutes.

Early this year I had a new pump fitted privately (the council are only carrying out essential repairs as the heating is due to be replaced in 2007/2008). This cured the noisy boiler, which had sounded like a train chugging along! The engineer also put inhibitor?? through the system. For a while the radiators were much quieter. Unfortunately, now they are as bad as ever. A council engineer and two private engineers have said nothing can be done. :(

I would like to know if this is a common problem with combis or if it is because the system is old. Is this kind of noise usually considered "normal"? I've never lived anywhere with this type of heating or heard this noise from radiators before.

Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Imogen

Sponsored Links
Depending on how much cleaning of the system was done when the pump was replaced, it's possible that you have sludge moving around the system and causing constrictions. When this happens the water moves faster at the point(s) of constriction and causes a lot of noise.

Does the noise occur on all radiators, or on just those with TRVs? If the latter then it could be that the TRVs are not fully closing - this can also be the effect of sludge and crud in the system.

Is there a speed setting on the pump? Is it set in accordance with the boiler manufacturer's guidance? If at maximum then you could try setting it at a lower speed.

I don't why the pump should run on for 20-30 minutes - that sounds like a boiler overrun fault - not really something you can fix without expert involvement.

Thanks for the reply Softus. The noise is in all the radiators not just the ones with TVRs. I'm pretty certain there isn't a speed setting on the pump as I have asked if the speed setting could be altered and was told no.

I think you're probably right about sludge in the system but I can't afford to have it thoroughly cleaned and no way will the council do it! Hopefully when the heating is replaced it will solve the problem. I just hope it's a warm winter!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back