New boiler - should it be noisy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a new boiler installed 3 weeks ago - it's a Baxi Potterton Gold 24HE. It's not really noisy, but is louder than I had expected - just a loudish humming noise. It's in a cupboard but I can still hear it with the door closed if the rest of the house has no radio or tv on. Is this normal?

Also, 3 of the radiators (one upstairs and two downstairs) are now noisy, where before all my radiators were completely quiet. The radiators sound a bit like air is moving around them? And they make this noise the whole time the heating is on. If I turn the radiators right up to maximum the noise goes away - but I don't want my radiators up on max all the time. No noises like this before. One is in a bedroom too so not ideal for sleeping.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Call the installer back.prob just air in the system,sometimes the casing can vibrate a bit if its not on right

Not normal.

You could hear the fan spinning but it would usually only be noticeable on HW at full power.

Air in the system does not usually cause a humming noise, usually gurgling or rattling, like thousands of iron filings in the water.

Try to pinpoint the hum exactly.

sounds like 2 problems here.

thanks.

The noise at the boiler sounds a bit like a small engine running. Last night it seemed to be a bit louder than when I psoted about the problem. Will be contacting installer but thought I'd find out first if this noise was to be expected with a new boiler or not.

Sponsored Links
i've got a worcester 28cdi running in an upstairs cupboard, it runs 4 rads downstairs and three upstairs. boiler has probably got slightly noisier over the years (been in for around 9 years now) but the entire system has been quite noisy from day one, if yours is the same type of noise as mine it isn't a fault.

the rads are silent when thermostat is off, start turning it up and the 'humming' noise increases (think it's the water going through the system you're hearing, bit like the noise you get from a pipe that's serving a tap when the tap is on?) once a rad's been on for a while, turn the thermostat to the 'biting point' as i call it (between it being on and off) and the noise is worse. have them all on full blast and the noise is slightly (but only slightly) better.

i really notice how loud my system is when it goes off!

when it got its first annual check years ago i advised the engineer re: noise. he said part of the problem was the boiler was fit to heat my house and next door i.e. maybe a bit too powerful. the pump has 3 settings (i think) so he turned it from 3 to 2, this made the noise of the system drop by maybe 50%, but then the rads were only hot at the top. he joked 'you need a 2 1/2 setting on this pump' so i had no choice but to ask him to leave it at 3.

so i've lived with the noise, when sitting on the toilet (hope no one's eating!) the small rad in the bathroom is ridiculously noisy, but there's nothing i can do. it annoys me to think the boiler is maybe overkill as it was selected as the best for our house by british gas!

to add insult to injury, the rads in our previous house ran silent!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back