Noisy vailant ecotec 415 & power flush help please.

We have tried the gas ratio a 8.2 but got high pitch annoying constant whining noise. We still have slight continuous whine and howl on start up at the lower ratio.

Not a question of 'trying' , these boilers should be set according to MI's , both high/low rate (P1/P2) should be set @ 9% CO2.

I challenged the engineer about setting it so low at he reassured me it was ok to do this.

Why would you be challenging the engineer?

Sponsored Links
Could a rusting radiator be the source of the rust in the water?. The filling valve is new, we r not aware of any leaks. Pressure remains constant according to valve on expansion vessel.

Just why is the filling valve new?

That may be the clue to the water problem!

Tony

We have tried the gas ratio a 8.2 but got high pitch annoying constant whining noise. We still have slight continuous whine and howl on start up at the lower ratio.

Not a question of 'trying' , these boilers should be set according to MI's , both high/low rate (P1/P2) should be set @ 9% CO2.

I challenged the engineer about setting it so low at he reassured me it was ok to do this.

Why would you be challenging the engineer?

Because the ratio is outside the parameters set in the manual n previous engineers wouldn't do that. So I was concerned.

Could a rusting radiator be the source of the rust in the water?. The filling valve is new, we r not aware of any leaks. Pressure remains constant according to valve on expansion vessel.

Just why is the filling valve new?

That may be the clue to the water problem!

Tony

Apologies, not new. Was replaced when I had my cylinder moved into loft and heating system pressurised prior to new boiler. So approx 2 years old.

Sponsored Links
Hello, out of resepect for all the kind people that have helped me on this thread I felt it only right to report the latest.

1. We took a rad outside and flushed it with a hose. Lots of black stuff came out. We decided to have a power flush.
2. Rads got much hotter but boiler noise remained unchanged.
3. Vailant came (4th time). He witnessed the howling and comented that it was also kettleing slightly. Areed to change parts. But in first instance tried modifying the ratio (to what I'm not sure this time). He did mention that 7 was unacceptable.
4. Overnight the boiler was MUCH quieter. I slept. relief.
5. This morning the burner and heat exchanger were replaced. So far no noise. Thank god.

I'm none the wiser as to what has caused the noise or fixed it. If it was just the ratio what were the other 3 engineers up to when they modified it?

The water in the heat exchanger was deemed "normal" with some black residue. What remainded in the heat exchanger? Was it all caked up? Couldn't see.

The engineer took a look at the original water sample taken prior to the power flush and didn't think that should have been a problem either.
It's all a bit of a mystery still to me. Boiler maintenance seems to be a black art.

Was all that work and replacement done under the warranty?

If so then you are lucky to have had an engineer who is willing to change so much.

Its totally unclear who did what and why.

Why was the last engineer apparently able to set the combustion properly and the others could not?

Tony

Hi Tony,

Well, it's not conclusive that it was the ratio. Previous changes to the ratio had reduced the noise, but only for a matter of hours, i suspect until the boiler had cooled.
As the engineer replaced the parts today, after resetting the ratio yesterday it is possible that the change in ratio may have only solved it temporarily. We are ulikely to know. I was loathed to put him off changing the parts just to see if he had fixed it with the ratio because I was sooo relieved to have an engineer offer to change any parts after living with this issue for a year. Perhaps he sensed that and took pity on me! The noise has been driving me nuts.

The parts were replaced under warranty. I had 3 previous visits by vaillant and 1 by an independent that tried to fix the howl by adjusting the ratio.

Now have noise again, not as loud. Vaillant called and coming again tomorrow.
I went and listened to my mates Vaillant tonight. It is practically silent. I'm so fed up. Why can't mine behave.
Can I ask for it to be taken away completely and get a refund?
Apparently there is a worcester bosh that'll fit in my cupboard now.

:( :( :(

I'm sorry but without seeing its not possible to be sure but u got the classic symptoms of something int the system whether it's overdose of inhibitor or debris who knows.but it's been quiet an now whatever is finding its way back from the system to the heat exchanger .ask the engineer to do the standard turbadidity test.they will send it to fernox and get anylisis for you. It won't matter if you change the boiler they all pretty much react the same

What is needed is commitment to get to the bottom of the issues instead of wild speculation. MIs are there to be followed and sheeting should be what the mIs demand

Power flush and system cleaning is a yardstick that is made from elastic string- every one and his dog has their own views on this subject. Aim of cleaning the system is to remove system sediment. Tools to do are power flushing and/ or chemicals. End of the day the debris should not be there. If someone wants to use a straw and suck it out, so be it s long as system is pristine and does not clogg up the installation

By the way, like bunny man says, get system water checked. Have had problems with inhibitors too

Get speculation out of the picture, get down to the brass tacks and sort it out. If someone does not understand what the problem is then they should not be recomending dream fixes

Wish you good luck

After 15 call outs, a power flush, multiple attempts to set the ratios, and the replacement of all parts inside the boiler cover the noise continued. The area manager visited. Having witnessed the noise, and still unable to diagnose it he and the senior engineer decided to replace the boiler.
The latest one makes similar howling and whining noises but to a much lesser degree. It also makes a "boom" noise when it lights up.
I am not very happy with this as a solution. My other boilers in my rental flats (worcester bosh (x1) and ideal(x2)) do not behave like this, neither did my 25 year old previous boiler.
Despite the 5 year warranty on all new boilers that Vaillant were offering on their website at the time this was replaced (May 2013) I have only been allowed a 1 year warranty on this one. (I did challenge them on this at the time by email). Not good customer service considering what I have put up with. At least treat me like your other new boiler customers. Still, Consumer Direct inform me that all new boiler parts have to last a reasonable length of time, ie 5 years so I still have my statutory rights.
I will clearly not be buying or recommending any more Vaillant products. :(

A system must be clean. Water sample showed clear water but sediment in the system was later removed from one radiator I understand.

Sediment lies in the troughs in the system, heat exchanger being one hence kettlng

I suspect your installation has suffered from lack of proper cleaning and lack of understanding of appliance requirement by the installer. Have used this model several times with non of the issues raised, but then the installations were power flushed, chemical cleansed and several final flushes to remove chemicals, a task that spanned nearly two days not accounting the 'cooking' time

The systems was power flushed, the water tested and the heat exchange subsequently replaced. It had no impact on the issue. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I am surprised that so many or your earlier engineers looked at the discoloured water and passed it by.

Obviously none of us know for sure exactly what is wrong in your particular case.

Just like your neighbour these Vaillant boilers are very stable and quiet running ( except yours for some reason. )

But Vaillant have done very well trying to solve all the problems. I do think that you should be pleased with how they have helped you.

Some of the earlier nupties and the installer who seems strangely absent from all these deliberations. He sounds like a total nupty who thinks a system does not need power flushing or cleaning as long as you fit a magnetic filter!

How often do you reset the boiler pressure?

Tony

I see from your newly posted duplicate thread that you even got your boiler model number wrong in the heading!

Its actually a 415 !

That makes me wonder if anyone has looked at the pump or flow rate?

Did they measure the flow and return temperatures?

d40 and d41 on the diagnostics!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back