Noisy Washing Machine - are there bolts loose inside?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My washing machien sounds like there are a few screws / bolts (or something metal) stuck inside. When it is on spin mode it make the noise as if there we are handful of screws being washed.

Is there a way I can get inside to have a look at it?

D

Sponsored Links
Is it a rattling noise or a screeching noise? If you turn the drum by hand is it free running and silent?

You could check the belt at the back of the machine to make sure that it's not frayed.

Slip the belt off and turn the drum and then the motor to see that they both run smoothly and freely.

If you're convinced that there's something stuck inside then you have to remove the drum - not a five minute job. It's definitely worth checking everything else first to find out what it is.

If there was anything loose between the drum and the casing I would have thought that you would hear it when it washed as well.

when my washing machine sounded like a bag of bolts
the dampers where leaking replaced dampers problem solved
the noise seemed to be caused by the springs hitting the drum

big all

Sponsored Links
There is access on some machines through the slot where the heating element fits. I have retrieved stuff that has got between the drum and the outer. Sometimes money is left in pockets, but it usually washes down into the pump and jams the impeller.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back