Noisy water passing through boiler!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Potterton Promax Combi has started to become very noisy when drawing hot water for a bath. When any other tap is used you can't hear any noise of water going through the pipes, but when drawing hot water for a bath there's a high pitched whooshing sound. Almost like you sometimes get from a tap valve itself, but there is no noise coming from the bath tap - it's definitely in the boiler. Seems to be working fine and as I said no noises when water being drawn from any other tap in the house. Presume it's something to do with there being the most demand when drawing water for a bath, but no idea where it's coming from or how to stop it. Only started doing this recently.
Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Firstly, make sure the system is pressurised correctly when cold, to approx 1bar. Vent any air that may be present from rads and boiler (follow the manufacturers guide).

Pressure looks fine - doesn't change much over time just the occasional top up every few months. No air trapped in the heating system. It's not the same sort of noise that you get when there is air gurgling around the system and only occurs when bath hot tap is on. Strangely doesn't seem to matter if tap is on full or not, but get no noise when sink tap is on or when shower is on which takes a feed off the same pipe as the bath tap.

It could be a faulty tap. If it was the boiler 99% of the time it would do it from every hot tap. I'd be looking at that scenario first.

Nath

Sponsored Links
That was my initial thought, but if you're in the bathroom the tap itself doesn't appear to be noisy. We have pretty hard water here and all the taps have ceramic valves and a couple of them can emit a high pitch 'squeal' depending on how open they are, but ironically not the bath tap. I guess they're all accumulating a bit of crud now causing it - the house is only a few years old. It is very strange, just suddenly started doing it a couple of weeks ago.

Just another thought. The flow through the boiler is much greater when using the bath as all other taps have flow restrictors on them. But having said that, you still get the noise even if you turn the tap down low as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back