Noisy water pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I went away on holiday I turned the mains water off at the stopcock under the sink (just as a precaution since we had a leak a few years back while on holiday). Upon returning the first thing I did was to turn the water back on. However since then we have been getting a noise generated from the pipes in the airing cupboard. The noise only happens when we use some hot water and only occurs for a short time (possibly 3 - 4 minutes). I suspect that it is to do with the water pipe refilling the tank in the roof when it tops up the hot ater cylinder. If i turn off the mains stopcock when the noise is being generated it stops and doesn't return until hot water is used again.
When the noise happens i have felt the pipes in the airing cupboard and it seems that only one thinish cold pipe is vibrating the most. I thought that perhaps i had turned on the stop cock too much but have tried adjusting it slightly to no avail.

Any ideas / fixes would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Noise generated by float valve that fills the tank feeding the hot water cylinder. May just need cleaning/rewashering, but complete replacement is fairly easy and cheap.

Have just been into the roof and the source of the noise is indeed the cold water feed to the main tank. The whole pipe is vibrating up and down but will stop if i gently hold it. It will also start up again if I gently tap the pipe.

What could be causing this (it never did this before we went on holiday) is it really just a case of cleaning / replacing ball valve

NO.....They lie to you just to get you up into the roof :eek:

Sponsored Links
Chrishutt.

No need to get stroppy. Only looking for a second opinion. After all how many times are we mere mortals told to get more than one quote for a job?

I was simply curious to know how/why this vibration has occured so suddenly and if possible ways of preventing it happening again.

:LOL: A 100% long term pukka fix would be to clip the pipe feeding the ballvalve..........and replace valve with a brass equilibrium valve ;) lots of ££££ but , hey you can diy for nowt

Could be the washer came loose in the stopcock because you turned it off too tight. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Or it`s now split ..........so next time it won`t shut off :eek:

zymurlogical said:
I was simply curious to know how/why this vibration has occured so suddenly and if possible ways of preventing it happening again.

I suspect you've opened the stopcock further than it was pre holiday. Try backing it off. (in stages) Not a proper fix granted, but free and worth a try. Always worth counting the number of turns required to shut off supply!

Won`t affect the pressure I`m afraid, my old pianist ;) only the volume. Like that pedal on the floor

zymurlogical said:
No need to get stroppy. Only looking for a second opinion. After all how many times are we mere mortals told to get more than one quote for a job?
Has anyone here told you that? Probably not, because it's a good way to waste the time of the best tradesmen.

Since the problem can be cured for about a fiver, and it's never happened to you before, how much effort do you really want to spend trying to prevent it?

Nige F said:
Won`t affect the pressure I`m afraid, my old pianist ;) only the volume. Like that pedal on the floor

I don't remember claiming to be a pianist on this site? And whatever it effects, my experience tells me that adjusting the stopcock position can make a difference in cases like this. I admit it's bodgy though.

Strictly speaking that should be keyboarder. However, much as I would have liked to be considered from my nom-de-plume as an indispensable member of the forum, you are actually correct. ;) :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back