Non adjustable upvc window?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a window that closes too tight to the frame on the lock side, such that it requires quite a bit of force to push the handle down. It is clearly tighter on the lock side than the hinge side, by at least 1mm.

I was expecting to see a cam of some sort where I can adjust the lock pin depth, but it would seem the window in question has no adjustment option - the pins are on a metal strip mounted into a pre-cut recess.

I then thought about adjusting the keep position on the frame, but it seems this cannot be moved as it also fits exactly into a pre-cut recess.

Has anyone seen windows like this before? I am out of ideas, and thinking of unscrewing the keep, trimming 1mm off it with a hacksaw, and putting it back. Seems a bit much tho!

Sponsored Links
On some windows the "mushrooms" that locate in the latch plate can be rotated to get an offset on them.
A picture would help.

IMG_20200307_140334765.jpg IMG_20200307_140540886_MP.jpg

One pic of the frame and one of the sash.

The mushroom catches I was thinking of usually have a slot or hex key recess, but worth trying a pair of pliers on the head to see if it rotates eccentrically.

Sponsored Links
Yeah I was also hoping for a hex key... no joy with the pliers, they don't move.

How long has it been too tight? You maybe able to pull the sash back in the hinges by unscrewing the sash and slightly adjusting the hinge position.

Been too tight since I moved here tbh, don't think its changed. The edge brackets have got clear score marks where the pins struggle to slot home.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back