Non-Building question for builders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, this may seem like a crazy post but I just want a quick bit of advice. I arranged some building works for some elderly relatives and the building is nearly complete. Me and my family have all been very pleased with the builders, tidy, helpful, considerate and hard working.
In return we have been very accommodating; teas, cakes, sandwiches, let them use kitchen when family has been out etc. I believe both sides have been happy with each other throughout.

We have had the same two blokes throughout, one the guvnor and one his mate. The job was quoted at 40k but will finish at 42k.

So, now the job is nearly done I am thinking about giving the builders a 'drink' as a thank you.

My questions is this...

How much should I give? Don't want to appear 'tight' in relation to the 42k spent but equally don't want to waste money when still have decorating, carpets, furniture etc still to do. (hope that comes across right!)
Should I give the same amount to both?
Or give it to the boss and ask him to divide as he see fits?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Whatever you see fit will be appreciated by the guys, to be honest. Unless it's half a packet of polos each, naturally :).

My view is that when work has been done and its cost a lot of money, then within that there has been a profit (hopefully) and so any extra sort of loses its meaning - it's nice to give it or receive it but it just all goes into the same pot.

So I feel that a gift does carry more meaning.

I've often found that after working at someones house for a while, or if guys were doing work for me, then you've been chatting and things crop up where they will mention liking something or other and not getting around to buying it - tools, a book, boots, clothes, ticket for a show etc .... anything

Over the years I've had a crate of particular coffee because I said it was nice, clothes for the kids as they inevitably crop up in conversation, new tools, work-wear, autobiographies and lots of other obscure items, and I remember and appreciate those gifts more. One I remember most and still have after many years, is a succulent plant which a dear old lady potted up for me after I only commented on how strange it looked

Otherwise bung 'em £30 each - giving the same amount and directly to each guy would be better

I'd luv a bottle of Brandy; XO preferably but VSOP will do! ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

Looks like I'll go with Woody's advice.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back