Non-Lead flashing

R

RedHerring

Working on a friends house in France and it needs some flashing replacing, round the chimney and abutting a gable wall.
Problem is, in France lead is not allowed and I'm having difficulty finding a suitable alternative, except flashband or the ready made profiled type of painted steel for edging steel roof, etc. Obviously a non-starter when it comes to bending, etc.

I could use copper but I don't fancy the potential staining on the slate or the colour, so I'm looking for zinc, either in a strip or a sheet, about 1mm thick. I assume there may be different types, annealed, hardened, or whatever. I realise it will be expensive but the longevity is surely worth the cost compared to flashband or similar.
I've asked at a couple of local roofing suppliers and they can only offer rubber as another viable alternative.
Anybody any ideas?

Sponsored Links
As Daz says Ubifex or metaflashis another, it is like flashband with wire mesh in the middle or two pieces, i've used it alot and it does the job.
Hope this helps
Dave

There are various non lead flashings available nowadays. Ubiflex is just one of them. Screwfix or even eBay may be a good starting point. I have also recently used this stuff :

http://www.decra.co.uk/Products/Decra FormFlash.aspx

Very pliable and cuts fairly easily but not exactly cheap.

I like that Decra flashing, most London councils insist on Ubiflex/Rapidflash or similiar. You will never beat a nicely installed bit of lead, and only time will tell if substitutes can cut the mustard.

Sponsored Links
After many lead thefts last year we started to specify some of the various lead replacement stuff, but I was astonished that it actually cost more than lead.

I too wonder how long this stuff will last

We pay £48 for a 12ml 150mm wide Ubiflex (i think) which wasn't so bad when lead kept going up, but now its coming down, i'm not so sure.

Ubiflex is about to be bought by Langley Waterproofing, so expect the price to rise.

Hi. Zinc is used extensively in France and readily available in sheet form. Unlike copper it can not be annealed. How ever these are many publications depicting methods of fitting,welting, soldering etc. If you know the width of cimney and roof pitch, you may find a local zinc worker that will knock it up for you to fit. Good luck

Thanks again for your help.
I've found a local supplier for Ubiflex and it looks OK.
With a guarantee of 25 years and a life expectancy of 30 years (The Ubiflex, not me) I very much doubt that it'll be me looking for a replacement next time around.
At £90 for a 12M roll 200mm wide it probably is marginally more expensive than lead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back