NORWALK JUICER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hy folks
New here, just wanted some quick advice. I have recently purchased a norwalk juicer. On the back it has 2 voltage settings with corresponding fuse advice of
USA 100 VOLTS /7 AMP FUSE
UK 240 VOLTS/3.5 AMP FUSE

It had a standard us three points plug, which my brother has just removed. The wiring is simple and corresponds to a standard british plug the white wire being the neutral, it does have a green earth wire. I have no problem just changing a standard plug, however I'd like to avoid blowing :eek: the electrics on the house if I could
My brother has asked a friend who is an electrician who said that once it has a british plug in and is used that the machine will swith over to the uk setting spontaneously.
My query is do I use a 5 amp fuse as this is the nearest to the 3.5 or should I go for a higher one e.g 15 amp. Big brother says if the 3 amp blows then just put a higher one in.
I appreciate that this is probably quite simple stuff to a lot of folks here but bear with me I'm not an electrician and with anything major I'd always gravitate towards getting a professional to do things.
Thanks in advance. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Why would you put a 15 amp fuse in an appliance that draws 3.5 amps?

Where would you purchase a 15 amp plug fuse to fit a 13 amp plug? Good luck with that one.

Put a 5 amp fuse in it.

And check for any voltage switches on the back or base. There may be one to engage a transformer or a set of windings on the motor - you dont want to go shoving 240 volts up a motor winding designed for 110.

As crafty says, check that you actually switch the switch to "uk 240v", its very unlikely that this kind of appliace would be auto-adjusting

What wattage is the appliance?, I'd think its quite unlikely that a 3A plug fuse wouldn't be suffient for this type of appliance*... they arn't too sensitive to starting transients

And yes, much to the confusion of some of us brits, it is indeed the white that is neutral on US equipment (with 'hot' being black)

*of course its us made... so it'll probably actually need its own fission plant in the backgarden :LOL:

I would put the selector on uk and put a 3A fuse in the plug. I would leave the fuse in the back of the appliance alone since the 3A plug fuse should already be providing adequate protection.

maybe increase the plug fuse if it blows but I somewhat doubt it will.

Sponsored Links
adam
Thanks for you your polite reply.I do have someone else on the case who has contacted the NORwalk company but the company is quite old fashioned and have only just joined the cyber network so they may take a while to get back :LOL:
It could well be that it my uncle needs to remove the back[he is qualified to do such things] my brother's friend [who's also an electrician apparently, but too far away to come and fix it] seemed pretty sure that it would be automatic. It's an extremely sophisticated juicer, it's not your bog standard kenwood.
I may just sit tight until further notice from the Norwalk company. It's too expensive to knacker with my amateurish fiddling
Thanks for you advice :)

Steve
in response to your questions:
Q.Why would you put a 15 amp fuse in an appliance that draws 3.5 amps?

A.I don't know steve thats why I'm asking this site

"...And check for any voltage switches on the back or base. There may be one to engage a transformer or a set of windings on the motor - you don't want to go shoving 240 volts up a motor winding designed for 110...."

I already checked that before anything else, there's no external switch.That would be the easy most sensible solution and would have eliminated the need to use this site in the first place :p

Q.Where would you purchase a 15 amp plug fuse to fit a 13 amp plug? Good luck with that one.

A.Again Steve if I knew the answer I wouldn't have asked would I?
thanks

if there is no visible voltage selector switch you will almost certainly need to open the appliance up.

With all due respect, what Steve was saying is that a 13A plug top has a maximum capacity of 13A, therefore you will not be able to fit a 15A fuse into it.

Hy Folks,
thank you for all of your responses. I think I'll just let the experts deal with it as it sounds as though the machine needs dismantling to a certain extent and I know what my limits are. Plugs and fuse changes are easy, proper electronics are just not my area of expertise. :LOL:
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back