nosy neighbours with pir cameras

ninebob, sorry mate, its infra red light, not ultraviolet

uv is the purple one used at discos to embarras people with dandruf and white underwear

Sponsored Links
breezer said:

uv is the purple one used at discos to embarras people with dandruf and white underwear

Not forgetting the ones with false teeth :LOL:

so you were the 'ol git in the corner then? :LOL:

sorry but i still dissagree with your laser theory, but lets not fall out over it.

most builders lasers are class 2, or 2m

to do any real damage you need a class 4 laser

you would also be across the road, which means the laser strength will be less, but assuming you did have a class 4 laser, it would be obvious who did it, since a laser beam is perfectly strait, so all you would need to do is look where the camera was pointing

mind you, go the whole hog, get a carbon dioxide laser, it produces an infra red beam (invisible) and can cut through steel

years ago before ccd cameras the "tube camera" could easily be blinded by almost any white light, but not ccd cameras (unless you have a ww11 searchlight in your back pocket)

If you read any photo forum on digi cams you will see the warnings on lasers that can kill the pixels on the sensor.

As regards builders lasers yes they are safe? thats why they say never point directly into your eye---meaning they arent 100% safe, and just think if a lens being it a spectacle or a contact lens could magnify the laser into the eye.

If my neighbours camera was spying on me i would openly set a laser up to blind the cam

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
You are of course correct, had a couple in the pub at teatime, sorry!

Freddie said:
If you read any photo forum on digi cams you will see the warnings on lasers that can kill the pixels on the sensor.

As regards builders lasers yes they are safe? thats why they say never point directly into your eye---meaning they arent 100% safe, and just think if a lens being it a spectacle or a contact lens could magnify the laser into the eye.

If my neighbours camera was spying on me i would openly set a laser up to blind the cam

but your eye is not a ccd camera, class 2 lasers are as you say not 100% safe if you look directly at one, but class 2 means that to blink will protect you, yes i know you could always stare but who would want to

I think I might be able to lend something to this. The idea of a "safe" laser is that the wavelength and power is such that

a) you will see it and
b) that your blink reflex is sufficiently fast to ensure you close your eye before damage occurs.

A class 1 laser, such as that you find in a CD player, is sufficiently low-powered that it won't cause damage, despite the fact it might be invisible (CD players use IR lasers)

A class 2 laser is as described above, i.e. visible, and sufficiently wimpy that you will blink soon enough. That said, don't trust the label!!!:cool:

As breezer says, class 3 and 4 are the ones that will knacker your eyes.

I have had 2 laser accidents, both with class 3a lasers... The silliest was when I was performing an experiment and when I popped my head closer to take a look, the experiment stopped. "Oooh, what caused that?" thought I. I turned my head the other way, only to get a sharp surprise as the laser beam stopped shining at the back of my head and into my eye :eek: :confused: Fortunately, it was fitted with a spatial filter that lowered it to class 2, but it left me seeing spots for a good many minutes.

There was also one involving me lending a class 3a green laser pointer to a drunken friend, who decided to try shining it out of a closed window at an angle. Of course, a good deal of the light was reflected back into my eyes. I think I still owe him a thump for that. :mad: :LOL:

A laser is nothing but light, the more power you put into it the more powerfull and potentially damaging it gets--i.e.--A laser than can cause destruction on Earth from space would have to have a nucleur device exploded into it as it's power source which in the mili-second the laser works for would cause damage on Earth.

The most powerfull laser down on Earth isnt very impressive as at the end of the day light isnt very destructive so the energy needed for it is better spent elsewhere.

But somethings are very fragile and are susseptable to low level lasers, camera's and eyes are probably the most at risk

A laser is nothing but light

And light is nothing but EM-radiation that just so happens to be in the band in which our eyes are sensitive...

Gamma-rays are also EM radiation, just of a shorter wavelength, but you don't hear anyone say ""Well, it's ONLY gamma rays!"

Despite being outside our range, UV generally counts as "light", but would YOU spend a whole day lying on a mediterranean beach in summer, without sunblock? :LOL:

True, shining a keyring laser pointer at someone won't do as much damage as, say, a hammer. But just because it's "only" light doesn't mean it can't hurt you.

Right, I'm off to stick my fingers in a 3-phase outlet... I've held on to a AA battery by the terminals before and didn't feel a thing, so this will presumably be the same. After all, it's nothing but electricity. ;)

thanks for your solutions chaps..sses.ive looked at iviewcameras dot comand theres a few cameras on there albeit a few a bit pricey.wouldnt mind one thats discreet...maybe slot it in the facia board.theres been aspate of burglaries in the past on our street,even milk has got nicked but i think they're stepping the mark with this thing...kinda gets on yer t**S.thing is it only looks like a cheapo argos type thing.makin us a bit paranoid.cant help thinkin that every time we walk out of house that were in full view on their tv...there old people(no disrepect)but old git always opens door when we do as if to listen what we are saying.just get that feelin that they are watching us all the time and im getting pis**ed off totally....time for revenge...no im not bitter :LOL: does that laser thing really work.also they have pulled their panels up slightly on their fence taht runs full length just to give little peep holes.said to missus im gonna smeer dog shat just to teach em. :?:

Perhaps they want to see what you are up to because they are paranoid that you are the kind of people who would smear dog poop :eek: ;)

Perhaps if you mention to the chap "I couldn't help but notice your fence panels are a little warped, there are gaps showing. Need a hand knocking them back into place?" then he might take the hint.

I'm pretty sure you are getting more stressed about this camera business than your neighbour is. You need to go round, be friendly and politely talk to him about it. The worst that can happen is he can tell you to F-off. A lot of the neighbour grudges we have in this country could be solved if people just TALKED to their neighbours!

You might think he looks like a grumpy old fart, but he might really be a sweet old man who was under the delusion that you would appreciate footage of a burglar breaking into your house.

AdamW said:
Perhaps they want to see what you are up to because they are paranoid that you are the kind of people who would smear dog poop :eek: ;)

Perhaps if you mention to the chap "I couldn't help but notice your fence panels are a little warped, there are gaps showing. Need a hand knocking them back into place?" then he might take the hint.

I'm pretty sure you are getting more stressed about this camera business than your neighbour is. You need to go round, be friendly and politely talk to him about it. The worst that can happen is he can tell you to F-off. A lot of the neighbour grudges we have in this country could be solved if people just TALKED to their neighbours!

You might think he looks like a grumpy old fart, but he might really be a sweet old man who was under the delusion that you would appreciate footage of a burglar breaking into your house.

you should be a social worker.

When researching documents for a health and safety issue at my previous employment I came across a study by the National Research Laboratory which had been commisioned by the government in the 70's to look into the harm from UV light to the eyes, it went into a lot of gumph but the last part mentioned that although more research needed to be commisioned to get a definitive answer, it was their opinion that any light of sufficient intensity that it causes a person to squint, is strong enough to cause damage to the eye that the action of squinting is natures way of protecting the eye from harm.

While I was in Manchester city Centre the other day in a gadget electric store wont advertise it here but they are selling a gadget that scrambles CCTV cams , its handheld an like a remote car alarm clicker ,it sends out a signal that messes these CCTV cams up , it also turns off the tv if pointed at it ....so you can stand in your garden an keep switching the cctv off ........
I was in the shop buying more batteries for my shoecam I use for getting those Uppie thong shots for the voyeur sites I contribute too ..lol..only kidding ...lol

Sponsored Links
Back