Home security advice from a noob for noobs (Shock sensors)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am writing this in the hope that DIY security noobs (I’m still one) might learn something from my (good) experience. Before I start, I admit there is no such thing as 100% security.

A neighbour of mine got burgled having just spent upwards of £1,500 on a fancy new alarm system with monitoring and CCTV (lots of cameras and recording equipment). The house got burgled at dusk whilst they were away. The burglars could clearly see the cameras so did well to hide their faces and were quick. They broke in through the rear (garden), got away with the usual quick grab items but caused extensive damage in the house looking for valuables. Worst, he's mobile phone was on silent so he wasn't aware of anything until he got home.

The CCTV was handed into police who probably found it as useful as ever :unsure: . In the meantime my neighbour had to live with the horror that he still got burgled after spending all this money and now had additional expenses cleaning up the mess. Even he admits now, what good is monitoring if you cannot prevent?

A couple of months before my neighbour installed this new security, I installed a bog standard flood light (at the rear) with an integrated SD card based camera (total cost £75). I also added a wireless expander to my existing cheap and cheerful modular alarm setup. With this wireless expander I was able to install wireless shock / contact sensors on the rear doors and exposed windows. Cos I was in the DIY mood I also added a GSM dialler.

A few weeks after my neighbour got burgled, in the evening and after arming the wireless expander zone (door contacts and shock sensors only), we went to bed. At about 2am the alarm went off. I rushed to the window to find the garden flood light on. Quickly ran downstairs and looked outside, all was clear. Grabbed the SD card out of the slot and into my laptop. Was joyed when I caught the scum having a go at opening the door (only average force used). Forwarded to the police but not expecting anything (what's new?)

Moral of the story: With career criminals who do well to hide, police have a tough time identifying them from video footage as it is. So CCTV outside the house is mostly useless. Far from being a deterrent, I’m convinced that in some areas CCTV around the house probably acts as a beacon pulsating the message “quick! Come and grab the expensive goodies in here”.

Additionally, the fancy super duper ADT alarm + monitoring solution that just got installed helped in what way exactly? What good is it monitoring every single room, hallway and landing with a PIR sensor? What good is it to have an alarm automaticaly alert a police linked call centre that there is a burglary taking place if most thieves are in and out in 5 mins? If the bells are ringing the bastards will still have 30 to 60 secs to do some serious damage if they are already inside the house.

Lets take a look at my solution which cost less than £500 in total (all DIY). The wireless shock sensors (less than £30 each) I installed caught the bastards in their tracks who were visibly stumped that the alarm bell went off even before they managed to step inside. That alone was probably enough to spook them. Secondly as they weren’t expecting a camera the faces weren’t as well hidden so my covert camera probably done a better job at trying to identify them.

So, I’m convinced. The best security you can install is perimeter security. One in which boundaries such as doors and windows are monitored for shock force and where the CCTV is a little more covert. Startle the theiving scum before they get into the house.

Sponsored Links
the system might have cost upwards of £1500.00, but it depends HOW it was set up!

i (and a few of the pros`s here) have been called to sites that had a pro system installed by one of the big national companies and found it to be blow adequate for the protection of the property.

you also have to remember an alarm will NEVER prevent an intrusion, its there to detect and relay the relevant information the the ARC (alarm receiving centre)

the alarm system i have on my property is linked to the ARC and my mobile, with full image recognition software (CCTV) and runs SIA protocol to the ARC, so the ARC can see what zones have been triggered and at what time, as well as i can.

i am happy that your DIY system has done the job. i cannot comment on the installation as i have never seen it, but i bet it is non compliant (in the realms of an approved installation/insurance etc) but that does not mean it does not do the job its intended for.

some people will have a super duper system fitted and think, ok got an alarm thats all i have to do.

if you have read a few of the posts here you will find us pro`s trying to advise people on the correct way to do things, sometimes it falls on deaf ears (or eys) but sometimes it does not.

i feel sorry for your neighbour,

i would reccomend that he contacts his alarm company and requests a full print out of the following;

panel activation and open/close signals (before and after the intrusion
a full report from the ARC
and get him/her to have the system fully tested, and i mean ALL devices within the property.

Oasis
Yep i am a pro installer and have been for many many years.

you stopped before they got in, if the alarm sounds once they are inside they will grab what they can and run

As mentioned a security system will ONLY sound when it is designed to do so.
Some can alert when the scroates are outside.

Your system is as said not even recognized by insurers something a lot here miss.

A genuine and well designed system will in a lot if not all cases prevent a expensive loss. Not a total prevention, but a prevention.

As always we "pros" suggest the physical security is up to standard and used.
Some here scoff at this, the amateurs generally.
Physical first then electronic......and or a dog.

As before always check and walk test.

Sponsored Links
wireless expander to my existing cheap and cheerful modular alarm setup. With this wireless expander I was able to install wireless shock / contact sensors on the rear doors and exposed windows

Could you tell me the details of this wireless expander system, it sounds like an IDEAL fix to my parents pending alarm, that has some remote doors and windows....

I would agree but would add further, why wait till they are outside your door/window and for the shock sensor to go off. Like you said by the time you got to check your garden they had already gone.

My family and I are still traumatised and recovering from an armed robbery at our house.
I now want to get a system where as soon as someone steps foot onto our property, I want to know about it.

I think there is a fundamental design flaw in burglar alarms, they wait for the intruder to break into your property before raising the alarm. This just seems ridiculous! Burglar alarms should also cater for outside perimeter security as well. As soon as someone steps foot on the property, things should kick into action: a chime should go off in the house alerting everyone to somone on the property. As well as a text/call to your mobile if your not at home.

There doesn't seem to be many products catering for this sort of perimeter security.

I would agree but would add further, why wait till they are outside your door/window and for the shock sensor to go off. Like you said by the time you got to check your garden they had already gone.

My family and I are still traumatised and recovering from an armed robbery at our house.
I now want to get a system where as soon as someone steps foot onto our property, I want to know about it.

I think there is a fundamental design flaw in burglar alarms, they wait for the intruder to break into your property before raising the alarm. This just seems ridiculous! Burglar alarms should also cater for outside perimeter security as well. As soon as someone steps foot on the property, things should kick into action: a chime should go off in the house alerting everyone to somone on the property. As well as a text/call to your mobile if your not at home.

There doesn't seem to be many products catering for this sort of perimeter security.

They do and there is, I know your in shock but that type of comment is so crass.
So as I said in the other post get your local company in and ask about perimeter protection. There are dozens of items you can get.

They do and there is, I know your in shock but that type of comment is so crass.
So as I said in the other post get your local company in and ask about perimeter protection. There are dozens of items you can get.

Would perimeter detections devices be activated by a fox or a badger?

From searching for many hours over the last few days for a new alarm for our new home, I have seen many companies selling dual, triple (quad?) beam sensors which seem to be what you are looking for. From what I have read, the general consensus is to fit them at around 3ft high to stop false alarms from foxes etc around your property.

Would perimeter detections devices be activated by a fox or a badger?

Cheap tat yes.
There are systems designed to avoid this. They are not cheap.

Think 300+ for a set of semi decent beams. Thats not installed either.

Could you tell me the details of this wireless expander system, it sounds like an IDEAL fix to my parents pending alarm, that has some remote doors and windows....

Bump...

For the perimeter protection, people can use the active infra-red beam sensors. Also there are motion sensors (tri-tech, dual-tech) for outside installation and intrusion detection. The tri-tech and dual-tech motion sensor will reduce the false alarm effectively.

And why are they not generally specified over beam devices?

False alarm rates.

With beams, what if you've got parked cars in the driveway.

How do they work exactly, are they just one line that goes across the front of your property? or do they cover an area?

Whats to stop someone just climbing over or crawling underneath the beam?

Can anyone recommend any specific products beams or pir detectors that will give a low false alarm rates.

Are we talking gjd pir detectors?

P.S. I did check the NIS website for installers, most on there deal in internal burglar alarms, one guy even told me that I was after something that hadn't been invented!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back