Not all radiators working. Running out of ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have been scouring the forums for help with my issue. With nothing working I thought I had better post to see what else people can come up with.

We moved into a large house in the summer. It was built in 1901 with stone walls. The CH system is likly to have been installed in the late 1960s and then added to over time with a mix of old single panel and some more modern double ones. In total there are 7 radiators downstairs and 13 upstairs (inc 4 towel radiators).

The boiler was installed in 2018 and is a worcster bosch greenstar cdi 35 classic. It's currently turned up to 6 (pretty much max) and water to 2.5.

The boiler and cylinder and next to one another in a cupboard in the garage.

The main issue we are having is that 3 of the upstairs radiators do not work. And many of the others are luke warm at best.

Things I've tried;

Bleeding radiators - doesnt seem to be any air

checked that the trvs are working

Balancing the system - I did my best by touch/hand. It potentially could be done better by a professional.

Placed x800 into the system (2 bottles), Cleaned the magnaclean everyother day since

Taken off and flushed the 3 radiators that are not working; 2 were small old ones (loads of sludge) 1 was a large double (minimal sludge).

Nothing has changed heat wise in those radiators.

Some other odd symptoms: hot water turned down to 2.5 but still scalding.
The flow and return are both very hot, much hotter than rads.

I have included some photos of the pipe work around the cylinder, in the hope it might help.

I am sorry, I don't know the size of the pipework in the system.

Things that I might need to try but havent been able to yet: a magnacleanse, system powerflush.

Any other ideas or thoughts I could try? I am happy to get a professional in, but I would rather at least have an idea of the issue to help them with diagnosing it/save time.

Thanks for any ideas, and I will do my best to provide any further info required.

Attachments

• 20231210_145301.jpg
    20231210_145301.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 20231210_145201.jpg
    20231210_145201.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 20231210_145229.jpg
    20231210_145229.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 20231210_145138.jpg
    20231210_145138.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
This suggestion falls on deaf ears but I'll offer it up here anyway.

If you can, draw a schematic of what you have.

*Helps you understand what you have
*Helps you problem solve
*Helps others problem solve
*Is a valuable reference.

Doesn't take long either and then you quickly see the obvious stuff...

If you close off all rads that heat up by their TRV ,do the 3 rads that were cold now heat up ?

This suggestion falls on deaf ears but I'll offer it up here anyway.

If you can, draw a schematic of what you have.

*Helps you understand what you have
*Helps you problem solve
*Helps others problem solve
*Is a valuable reference.

Doesn't take long either and then you quickly see the obvious stuff...
I'm not clued up on this stuff.
I think this is what you want. Just scribbled it down now so apologies for the crudeness

Attachments

• 17022256757935647296556109127840.jpg
    17022256757935647296556109127840.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links
Close the TRV's/ set to zero, all of them. With heating running, open one none working radiator at a time, and see if they then warm up.

If they do not, you have a blockage.

If you close off all rads that heat up by their TRV ,do the 3 rads that were cold now heat up ?
Hi Terry,
Not really, takes the chill off, but not hot to touch. (If that makes sense).
Made me think blocked pipework. But when I took the rads off, there was flow at a very good pressure from both trv and lockshield when opened

Close the TRV's/ set to zero, all of them. With heating running, open one none working radiator at a time, and see if they then warm up.

If they do not, you have a blockage.
Hi Harry, thanks for the reply.
Would there still be pressurised flow from the valves if there was a blockage? When the radiators came off the flow seemed good when I opened them (to look for blockage/low flowrate)

I'm not clued up on this stuff.
I think this is what you want. Just scribbled it down now so apologies for the crudeness
Yay!

That's great.

Trace every pipe though.....

You have a circulation problem ,possible issue with a by pass,pump, and restricted pipework.
Engage a professional ,you don't need to assist them in diagnosis , just tell them what you have told us.

0.2 bar on the abv is low isn't it?
Is it open all the time? (Hot on the outlet).

Google the brand and make and read the settings instructions.
Easy enough.

Might be worth a shot.

0.2 bar on the abv is low isn't it?
Is it open all the time? (Hot on the outlet).

Google the brand and make and read the settings instructions.
Easy enough.

Might be worth a shot.
Can't see a brand, I will try searching though.

What is the "average" setting for most systems?

The pipe work below is warm on touching (and heating not even on)

Attachments

• 20231210_164844.jpg
    20231210_164844.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20231210_164825.jpg
    20231210_164825.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 24
Then as Terry says, definitely a circulation problem. Get someone to take a look, boiler firing on heating, check pump etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back