Not all radiators working. Running out of ideas

It could be split as two separate stages then, taking into account your intention to do the ground floor eventually.
Yeah I think in the long term we will, I hate it that cost is a factor, but as long as the downstairs functions correctly we have more vital things we need to spend our money on right now.

Sponsored Links
ing else I should do while they are at it?

When your placing new/modern systems is there anything you always suggest/couldn't do without/fancy but worth it. If I'm gonna do it might as well go whole hog.

Cheers
New-Modern.

That means zero zone and full App control to me.
Also, probably involves a full HVAC approach with heating being just one aspect.
Heat recovery ventilation would be another.
Insulation, and so on.

The modern approach is to not require heating normally and only have it, when you need it and where you need it.

Regardless, if you are just focusing on rads and plumbin i think insulating the distribution pipes is overlooked.
Old approach of 1zone, the pipes are the zone. But modern approach is quite the opposite. So only get heat to where it's needed.

Large bore, large rads, get ready fir ult heating laws coming in the next decade.

Etc. etc.

You can do much or little.

The plumber said the boiler was fine for number of rads and size.

I don't overly want the expense of an entirely new heating system/setup. I assume an entire replumb would be pretty dear.

Do you not feel converting it to a dual setup upstairs would work?

I've read that with a single pipe system a different type of trv is required. Is it worth changing these initially?
I would not do a fudge to solve a fudge where i could afford it.

You are not moving.

Like terry said, rip out the crap.

This is where a full schematic will come in very handy.

Provides instruction and clarity as to what is needed and will be a great scope document for the works to follow.

Plumbers need every bit of instruction and drawings they can get....

Sponsored Links
New-Modern.

That means zero zone and full App control to me.
Also, probably involves a full HVAC approach with heating being just one aspect.
Heat recovery ventilation would be another.
Insulation, and so on.

The modern approach is to not require heating normally and only have it, when you need it and where you need it.

Regardless, if you are just focusing on rads and plumbin i think insulating the distribution pipes is overlooked.
Old approach of 1zone, the pipes are the zone. But modern approach is quite the opposite. So only get heat to where it's needed.

Large bore, large rads, get ready fir ult heating laws coming in the next decade.

Etc. etc.

You can do much or little.
I've spend the last 2 weeks trying to get my head around my current central heating system and it's issues... anything more just blows my mind right now.

Being honest you are right. Efficiently, lowering running costs, better for planet etc etc is better in the long run. There's no way we can afford that type of outlay at this point in time. We moved in 5 months ago and all our money was pumped into that. I assume we are talking in the 10s of thousands at this point?

I would love a schematic myself. I've spent hours trying to work out were the pipes actually run, which rads warm first. Why some further from boiler are hotter than ones closer, why I have dual pipe in some areas and single in others. It's a mess.

If I'm wasting my money to repipe the upstairs should I just got for the cheaper dual pump plan for now then, save for a few years then move on to a hvac system?

I've spend the last 2 weeks trying to get my head around my current central heating system and it's issues... anything more just blows my mind right now.

Being honest you are right. Efficiently, lowering running costs, better for planet etc etc is better in the long run. There's no way we can afford that type of outlay at this point in time. We moved in 5 months ago and all our money was pumped into that. I assume we are talking in the 10s of thousands at this point?

I would love a schematic myself. I've spent hours trying to work out were the pipes actually run, which rads warm first. Why some further from boiler are hotter than ones closer, why I have dual pipe in some areas and single in others. It's a mess.

If I'm wasting my money to repipe the upstairs should I just got for the cheaper dual pump plan for now then, save for a few years then move on to a hvac system?
There are some great online articles about modern heating systems and existing properties.
The upshot is that modern systems require modern buildings or significant financial outlays.

My 20 year old house is probably not up to scratch for modern Hps etc. so I'm hanging onto my gas heating until it's unavoidable which may be longer than my time left on the planet.

Perhaps that's where you are.
Big old house needs big old heating systems or ££££.

I've got the big old house, just not the big heating system or big bucks to match lol.

Start from the boiler outlet, measure the length to the next tee piece, note that down, measure to the next one, it took me a couple of weeks to correct my first attempts, as some of the pipes are undergound and had to guess to start with. once you have the diameters and lengths, then you add in the expected flow for each rad at rated output. that will then let you work out the expected pressure drops at starting from cold in the morning etc.
Then you can work out what any changes would do for you.
have a look at this diagram I created from scratch:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back