Not allowed gas meter under a sink!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I work for myself selling and fitting kitchens and last week on a job I called the local corgi registered plumber out of the phone book as I was further away than my regular plumber is willing to travel.

I asked him to install pipework for a new hob an move the gas meter tighter into the unit under the sink! He looked a the meter and said that if he was making a new connection or moving the meter it was not allowed to be under the sink as under a sink classes as a corrosive atmosphere. And would have to move the whole lot its the next unit which caused me nothing but problems.

In my 9 years of fitting kitchens I have never heard of this! If this is correct I have 9 years worth of faulty sited gas meters to consider as nearly every house I work on the meter is under the sink!

Any help on this one.

Sponsored Links
I would ask the Corgi guy to show you the paperwork that say so. :rolleyes:

He told me he actually called corgi technical support or called somebody, to confirm but i couldnt hear anybody on the other end.

Just thought that somebody on here will have clue where i can find this information from.

Find someone else...although most gas installers are not permitted to work on the meter pipework before the meter outlet.

Transco/Scotia/SGN and the others happily install meters under sinks. In fact they are not the slightest bit concerned about corrosion until the gas starts to leak.

This one has been reported to them 4 years in a row (it's located under Victorian steps...where the meters and steel pipework always corrode).

Sponsored Links
He told me he actually called corgi technical support or called somebody, to confirm but i couldn't hear anybody on the other end.

Just thought that somebody on here will have clue where i can find this information from.

He can re-position the meter within the length of the anaconda but he cannot move the incoming service pipe, only Transco, or whatever they're called these days can do that.

Unfortunately the guy is talking by what is written in all the MET1 manuals,however what he failed to tell you is that if it is showing signs of deteriation due to its location then it should be reported to transco, who will make the call on if it should be moved, replaced or left in situ.

Theres a long list where you shpouldnt site a meter and is broken 9 out of 10 times,some locations being corrosive enviroment,cupboards where food is stored.

For exact info try the CITB appliances pocket guide or the viper books.

Cheers for that lads!!! :D

I know that electrical sockets are no longer permited under sinks, which is common sense but this guy really baffled me!

the BS on gas meters says meters should not be sited under sinks or in cupboards storing foodstuffs

Unless you guys fit sinks and then intend for them to leak why wouldnt a socket under a sink be allowed.

16th never said you couldnt,17th certainly doesnt and if you think the regs are now going backwards........ :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back