not being a landlord...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
after a conversation with my neighbor the other day, I got to thinking about something..

The neighbour in question doesn't own the flat, she owns a house over the road, and her son owns the flat..
as she's now on her own with a dodgy leg and can't handle the stairs, and her son has kids, they've swapped houses..
nothing has actually legally changed hands but they live in each others houses..

does this technically make them both landlords?
they aren't exchanging money for living in the houses, but as they are also living in the others house / flat rent free then technically they're getting "payment in kind"..

I got me thinking that if I were to win the lottery this weekend and bought a house and let a friend or relative ( or even a stranger.. hey I might want to spread the karma.. ) live in it rent free, would I still be classed as a landlord with all the lagalities that go with it? ( all hypothetical of course.. )

Sponsored Links
If you own the property then you must be responsible for its upkeep in my opinion.

A Landlord is the person who owns a property, which is rented or leased out to another person for a specified period.

So I assume if there is no tenancy agreement and payment is not passing hands.

ANS) No

I think you would be a landlord in those circumstances, I would sell your flat if you won the lottery jackpot, it's not worth the worry, just have one house to live in.

Sponsored Links
actually I was thinking of letting my nephew stay here as he's nearly 18 and engaged ( idiot :rolleyes: ) so they'd need a place to live..

You'd have to be careful that you didn't inadvertently grant your nephew any form of right to occupy the house, which you might find it hard to get him out of later.

A proper tenancy agreement keeps everyone right. Also means you can set some of your maintenance expenses on the property against the rental income for tax purposes.

Tenancies from close family members aren't eligible for housing benefit.

live in it rent free

All sounding very good, if I was a tenant, I'd be very concerned as to how quickly you could make me leave... as there'd be no official contract/financial obligations.

Hypothetically of course :LOL:

after a conversation with my neighbor the other day, I got to thinking about something..

The neighbour in question doesn't own the flat, she owns a house over the road, and her son owns the flat..

It got me thinking that if I were to win the lottery this weekend and bought a house and let a friend or relative ( or even a stranger.. hey I might want to spread the karma.. ) live in it rent free, would I still be classed as a landlord with all the legalities that go with it? ( all hypothetical of course.. )
Are they on the dole :rolleyes: :oops: ;)

Sponsored Links
Back